No one can resist the combination of caramelized butter and brown sugar roasting with butternut squash. This kid-friendly butternut squash with brown sugar is a delicious side dish to compliment and dinner.
Thanks to Produce for Kids for sponsoring this post!
If you’re like me and have kids who are leery of this bright orange veggie, keep reading because this is the perfect butternut squash recipe for toddlers, tweens, and adults.
When I worked in school foodservice I quickly saw first hand how important presentation and flavor is when it comes to veggies – and kids eating them. Keeping this in mind, I developed this simple roasted butternut squash brown sugar recipe for kids, but it turned out to be my favorite as well.
How To Make Roasted Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut ends off squash
- Peel squash using a vegetable peeler
- Cut in half, remove seeds
- Cut squash into similar sized cubes
- Place onto baking sheet
- Blend brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and pepper into melted butter. Pour over squash, and mix
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping squash with a spatula halfway through
I recently made this recipe again and my 12-year-old son asked from the living room, “what smells so good?!”
I think he thought there was a pie baking, that’s how good this roasted butternut squash recipe for kids smells as it bakes. Give it a try today and let me know what you think!
Learn How To Cut Butternut Squash & see how easy this recipe is.
Delicious Recipes Sent Weekly
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
If you enjoyed the recipe make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!Print
No one can resist the combination of caramelized butter and sugar roasting in the oven with butternut squash. This butternut squash recipe is a delicious kid friendly side dish, a fall classic.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel squash using a vegetable peeler.
- Cut in half, remove seeds.
- Cut squash into similar sized cubes.
- Place onto baking sheet.
- Blend brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and pepper into melted butter. Pour over squash, and mix.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping squash with a spatula halfway through.
Interested in more squash recipes? These might be of interest:
FREE Kids Cooking eBook!
Do you want your children eating a more varied diet, but wonder how to get more fruit and veggies into their meals & snacks? This eBook is a fun filled way to get kids eating better while having age appropriate fun!