Taco Cups are quick & easy handheld tacos for kids. Made with tortillas, filled with ground beef or turkey, refried beans, diced tomatoes, and seasonings, then baked to cheesy perfection! Gluten-free.
This kid-friendly dinner is quick & delicious. Kids like being able to choose their own toppings, so offer them on the table for your family to customize themselves.
WE ARE A PARTICIPANT IN THE AMAZON SERVICES LLC ASSOCIATES PROGRAM, AN AFFILIATE ADVERTISING PROGRAM DESIGNED TO PROVIDE A MEANS FOR US TO EARN FEES BY LINKING TO AMAZON.COM AND AFFILIATED SITES.
Mexican-inspired dishes are served at least weekly in my house. Over the years, we’ve made a lot of tacos to find our favorites. I finally created a list of our top picks. If you are looking for more of our favorite Mexican-inspired recipes, give these a try!
HOW TO MAKE
1. Brown the meat
Start by browning the meat in a skillet. We use ground beef, turkey, chicken, or pork depending on the day for these kid-friendly tacos. We recommend picking the meat based on what is on sale at your local grocer and/or what is preferred by your family.
Next, add the spices. We like a combination of onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. If you want to cut time, you can skip the spices and use a taco seasoning packet.
INGREDIENT SWAP: If using ground chicken for this recipe, our Homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning is the best spice blend.
3. Add the extras
Then, add in a can of diced tomatoes. We suggest petite diced tomatoes to limit large chunks of tomatoes and for better acceptance from kids. You could also use fresh diced tomato.
Next, add a can of refried beans or use our simple crockpot refried bean recipe. Stir well until combined.
Fold your tortillas, bending to fit into the muffin tin. We recommend using fajita-sized tortillas.
If you only have large flour tortillas at home, you can use a cookie cutter or glass cup to cut circles into the tortillas to make a perfect size. If using a glass cup, turn upside down and gently twist the top of the cup into the tortilla until it slices through.
INGREDIENT SWAP: You can swap the tortilla for corn tortillas, a wonton wrapper, or crescent rolls for tasty variations.
Once your tortilla cups are in your muffin tin, evenly distribute the cooked taco meat into cups.
Dietitian Tip: These crunchy taco cups cut fat and calories compared to store-bought tortilla bowls and add more nutrition with the addition beans and veggies.
Top with your taco cups with shredded cheese if desired then, bake for 8-10 minutes.
Finally, let your family top their individual taco cups with their favorite toppings.
- Black Olives
- Greek Yogurt
- Sour cream
Tacos for Toddlers
Have toddlers? If you have toddlers at home and would like to make these in a smaller version, we suggest using a mini muffin tin.
Microwave corn tortillas for 10 seconds in the microwave then place them into the tin or cut flour tortillas into smaller sizes and position them into the mini muffin tin. Follow the instructions as-is for mini taco cups.
I hope your family enjoys these crunchy taco cups. It is nice to skip traditional tacos every now and then to make these tacos for kids. This recipe is definitely on the menu next Taco Tuesday 🙂
KID-FRIENDLY MEXICAN RECIPES:
- Crock Pot Refried Beans
- Bean Dip
- Mexican Corn Chip Casserole
- Gyro Pork Tacos
- More Mexican Inspired Dinner Ideas
MEAL IDEAS FOR KIDS:
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained ✅
- 15 ounce can refried beans ✅
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained ✅
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese ✅
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ✅
- 1 teaspoon onion powder ✅
- 1 teaspoon cumin or chili powder ✅
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 6 inch gluten-free tortillas
- Preheat the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- ⭐️Brown meat and add seasonings. Brown meat then drain and return to pan. Stir in diced tomatoes, refried beans, and spices.1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained, 15 ounce can refried beans, 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon cumin or chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Fold tortillas then fill. Fold flour tortillas to fit into muffin tins. Divide meat mixture evenly between tortillas. Top with cheese and desired toppings.10 6 inch gluten-free tortillas, 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ⭐️Bake. Bake 8-10 minutes or until shells are crispy and browned