Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup combines squash, apples, carrots, sage, and coconut milk into a creamy, kid-friendly butternut squash soup recipe. Gluten-free.
I used to be intimidated by the butternut squash – but no more! Once I learned how simple it was to peel and dice, I was much more comfortable with this delicious fall food. Keep reading – I’ll show you exactly how to peel and dice butternut squash yourself!
How to make
- Using an apple peeler, peel the butternut squash, remove seeds, then dice.
- Place squash, carrots, onion, and apple into the crockpot.
- Add chicken stock, garlic, sage, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours.
- Puree with an immersion blender or carefully pour into blender.
- Stir in coconut milk, enjoy!
Start by slicing the ends off of the butternut squash, peel with an apple peeler, scoop out the seeds, then slice into squares. Watch the video to see exactly how to do it.
Pro Tip: You can purchase diced squash at your local Costco or another local grocery store if you’d like to skip the peeling & dicing steps to reduce the total time it takes to create this recipe.
Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker – except for the coconut milk.
To save time, I buy a bag of shredded carrots. I usually add them all into the soup just to save on the leftovers, but the butternut squash flavor is stronger with fewer carrots.
Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours.
Using an immersion blender, or your regular blender, carefully puree the butternut squash soup.
Pro Tip: Immersion blenders are a fun kitchen tool that comes in handy when trying to get kids to eat more veggies. You can use it to puree spaghetti sauce, chili, soups etc, blending vegetables into sauces seamlessly.
Check out my favorite immersion blender here.
Lastly, stir in the can of coconut milk. This adds an amazing creaminess to the squash soup and the slight coconut flavor goes really well with the sweetness of butternut squash.
I love the flavor of coconut in soups. If you do too, you have to try my Brussels Sprout Soup that’s made in an instant pot or crockpot. It’s absolutely amazing.
Pro Tip: Not a fan of coconut? Try evaporated milk or 2% milk.
Serve topped with drizzled coconut milk, parmesan cheese, pumpkin seeds or fresh herbs.
What To Serve With
Butternut squash soup can be enjoyed as a delicious entree or as a tasty side dish. The possibilities are endless when it comes to pairing this creamy soup to create a meal.
- Parmesan Crisps
- Tuna Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Baked Brussels sprouts
- Golden Roasted Turmeric Cauliflower
More squash recipes
- How To Roast Acorn Squash
- How to Make Spaghetti Squash
- Crockpot Butternut Squash
- Mac & Cheese With Butternut Squash
- Caramelized Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 whole butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 10 ounce bag of shredded carrots
- 2 cups chicken stock ✅
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh, or 1/4 tsp. dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can coconut milk ✅
- ⭐️ Prep the butternut squash. Using an apple peeler, peel the butternut squash, remove seeds, then dice.1 whole butternut squash, peeled and diced
- Combine ingredients in crockpot. Place squash, carrots, onion, and apple into the crockpot. Add chicken stock, garlic, sage, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir.1 whole butternut squash, peeled and diced, 10 ounce bag of shredded carrots, 2 cups chicken stock, 1 medium onion, diced, 1 medium green apple, peeled and chopped, 2 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon fresh, or 1/4 tsp. dried sage, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ⭐️ Cook. Cook on high for 1-2 hours or low for 3-4 hours.
- ⭐️ Puree then stir in coconut milk. Puree with an immersion blender or carefully pour into the blender. Stir in coconut milk. Taste, then add more salt or pepper if needed.1 can coconut milk