Sausage Mac and Cheese is a healthy kid-friendly dinner idea packed with veggies. Made with butternut squash, tomatoes, and loads of cheese, this is a family favorite! Gluten-free.
The creaminess of the sauce with the tender noodles and bold spices makes this recipe irresistible. It’s simple to make and makes enough for leftovers.
How To Make
- Preheat broiler.
- Brown pork sausage in a large oven-safe sauté pan, drain and return meat to pan.
- Stir flour, cumin, chili powder, and salt into cooked pork sausage.
- Over medium-high heat, slowly add milk, stirring well.
- Add 4 ounces of cheese, stirring until melted.
- Turn heat off. Whisk in eggs.
- Turn heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, stirring constantly about 2 minutes.
- Add drained tomatoes, sour cream, and squash.
- Add cooked pasta, mix well. Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
Start by browning the meat in a cast-iron pan. Cast iron is ideal for this recipe because it is also oven safe, which will come in handy later in the recipe.
- turkey sausage
- Italian sausage
- chicken sausage
- spicy pork sausage
Next, drain the meat, add it back to the oven-safe pan and sprinkle on the spices and flour.
After the spices are added, slowly stir in milk. Then, continue to stir as the sauce thickens.
Add half of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Sharp cheddar is used because of its strong flavor. However, feel free to use your favorite cheese variety in this recipe. After half the cheese has been added, turn the heat off.
Whisk eggs in a small bowl and then add the eggs to the meat mixture, stirring constantly until well blended.
Next, stir in the sour cream, tomatoes, and butternut squash until well blended.
Next, stir the cooked pasta into the butternut squash skillet. Then, top with the remaining shredded cheese. Lastly, place the cast iron skillet under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot.
- Caramelized onions
- Bacon bits
- Broccoli florets
- Hot sauce
- Bread crumbs
- Roasted garlic
Best Ways to cook BUTTERNUT SQUASH
If you’re in a hurry microwaving butternut squash is the way to go.
- How To Microwave Butternut Squash
- How to Cook Butternut Squash in the Slow Cooker
- How to Cook Butternut Squash on the Stove
- How to Cook Butternut Squash in an Instant Pot
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Sausage Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound seasoned pork sausage ✅
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin ✅
- 1 teaspoon chili powder ✅
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheese, divided ✅
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup cooked butternut squash
- 1/3 cup light sour cream ✅
- 6 ounces gluten-free pasta, cooked per box instructions
- ⭐️Preheat the broiler then brown the sausage. Preheat the broiler. Brown the pork sausage in a large oven-safe pan, drain and return meat to the pan.1 pound seasoned pork sausage
- ⭐️Add the spices then the milk. Stir in the flour, cumin, chili powder, and salt into the cooked pork sausage. Slowly add the milk, stirring well. Add 4 ounces of cheese, stirring until melted.1 tablespoon gluten-free flour, 2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup 1% milk, 8 ounces shredded sharp cheese, divided
- ⭐️Whisk in the eggs. Turn heat off. Whisk in eggs. Turn the heat back on to medium-low and cook until thickened, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Add drained tomatoes, sour cream, and squash.2 large eggs, lightly beaten, 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained, 1/3 cup light sour cream, 1 cup cooked butternut squash
- ⭐️Add the pasta. Add cooked pasta, mix well. Top with the rest of the cheese.6 ounces gluten-free pasta, cooked per box instructions, 8 ounces shredded sharp cheese, divided
- ⭐️Broil. Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe was adapted from Mac And Queso With Sausage.