Learn how to cook butternut squash in your crockpot or slow cooker in just a few simple steps. Easily turn this into a delicious & nutritious side dish that compliments any meal.
This vibrant orange squash has become quite popular over the past couple of years, for good reason.
Butternut squash is one of the most common varieties of winter squash.
Interestingly enough, the squash is actually grown in the summer, harvested in the fall, and is continued to be sold throughout the winter months due to the thick hard exterior.
Watch the video above to see how easy it is to cook squash in the slow cooker!
Butternut squash Nutrition Info:
- Butternut squash is low in calories and is a good source of dietary fiber.
- This member of the Cucurbitaceae family may have the highest about of vitamin A - or 354% of the recommended daily allowance (RDA).
Dietitian Tip: Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant and an essential vitamin for healthy eyesight.
- This vibrant orange squash is rich in the B-complex group of vitamins including folate, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6, thiamin, and pantothenic acid and contains adequate levels of the minerals iron, zinc, copper, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus.
- You can eat butternut squash seeds just as you would pumpkin seeds! They are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids that benefit heart health. Also, they are rich in protein, minerals, and numerous health-benefiting vitamins. The seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid, tryptophan. Tryptophan converts to health benefiting GABA neurochemical in the human brain.
What to do with Butternut squash
This squash can be used in so many ways, from soups and stews to pasta, one pan dinners, blended into meats such as meatloaf, or just plain topped with a bit of butter.
How To Cut A Butternut Squash
No more worrying about slicing your finger when cutting through this tough squash. Simply wash it, then place the whole butternut squash in your crockpot and cook.
Let cool, slice, remove the seeds, and use the insides however you wish.
Simple & Delicious Crockpot Meals
Make dinner a breeze with these 10 Family Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes!
If you enjoyed the recipe make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!Print
Learn how to cook a butternut squash in your crockpot or slow cooker in just a few simple steps. Easily turn this into a delicious & nutritious side dish that compliments any meal.
1 Butternut Squash
- Place whole butternut squash into the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours
- Carefully remove squash from slow cooker, slice in half
- Remove seeds
- Scoop out insides or dice into squares
- Serve plain, or top with butter and salt