Our muffuletta sandwich recipe is a summer sandwich recipe that is simple to assemble, tastes amazing, and is better when squished! This sandwich is perfect for picnics and camping. Gluten-free.
How To Make
Gather your ingredients.
Choose your favorite meats and cheeses. Select your favorite gluten-free bread. We recommend Schar Ciabatta Rolls.
You can always make your own muffuletta salad recipe, but for time savings, I grabbed a jar of pre-made salad. Spread 1/2 cup on the bottom of the bread. I am not an olive fan, but I LOVE the muffuletta salad in a light layer on this summer sandwich!
Pick your family’s favorite leafy green and put as much or as little as your kiddos would like. I encourage you to let them make the sandwich!
Next on, stack on your favorite cheese. We enjoy provolone, cheddar, or mozzarella. Use one cheese for now and save the others for another layer after the meat.
Next up is the meat. We used turkey, ham, and salami. Place on the remaining cheese. I love adding sharp cheese as it has a strong flavor.
You can use less of sharp cheddar in recipes because the flavor is stronger than a more mild cheese saving calories and fat!
I let my daughter make this whole sandwich. She surprised me when she added another layer of spinach! If I would have asked her to add it, it wouldn’t have happened, but when it’s your child’s idea – they are much more likely to eat it.
Top the sandwich with the top of the bread and wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
Place sandwich into the refrigerator (or cooler) and top with something heavy. Let sit overnight. Voila! A delicious summer sandwich filled with all the good stuff.
How To Take Camping
I recommend wrapping the sandwiches in tin foil, then placing them above the campfire for a little while to get the cheese melty and the meat warmed. Yum.
More camping recipes
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Muffuletta Sandwich Recipe
- 6 gluten-free ciabatta rolls
- 1/4 cup muffuletta salad ✅
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 6 slices Provolone ✅
- 6 slices turkey sandwich meat ✅
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese slices ✅
- 6 slices ham sandwich meat ✅
- 6 slices Havarti cheese ✅
- 6 slices salami ✅
- Assemble the sandwiches. Open the rolls and spread Muffuletta salad onto the bottom of the rolls. Place 1/2 of the spinach on top. Layer with provolone, turkey, sharp cheddar, ham, Havarti, salami, and remaining spinach.6 gluten-free ciabatta rolls, 1/4 cup muffuletta salad, 1/2 cup spinach, 6 slices Provolone, 6 slices turkey sandwich meat, 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese slices, 6 slices ham sandwich meat, 6 slices Havarti cheese, 6 slices salami
- ⭐️Wrap the sandwiches and refrigerate. Place top of buns on the sandwiches. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate and place something heavy on top of the sandwiches. Let sit for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.