Instant pot shredded chicken tacos made with just 4 ingredients. These pressure cooker pulled chicken tacos are a delicious kid-friendly dinner idea any day of the week. Gluten Free.
I recently purchased an Instant Pot and was a bit skeptical. I wasn’t sure I wanted to learn how to use what looked to be a complicated kitchen gadget. If you’re familiar with Create Kids Club, you know how much I LOVE my crockpot. I felt like a traitor trying the Instant Pot.
Turns out I now have two favorite tools at my disposal to get quick, tasty, and simple dinners on the table!
Check out step-by-step instructions on how to make this Shredded Chicken Tacos instant pot recipe!
How To Make
- Add all ingredients into the bottom of the instant pot.
- Cover and make sure it’s set to “SEALING”.
- Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Quick release and shred chicken with two forks.
- Serve with flour or corn tortillas and your favorite taco toppings.
Kitchen Tip: If you don’t have an instant pot, simply place all the ingredients into your crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
Start by adding the skinless chicken breasts and chicken broth to your Instant Pot.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
You can absolutely replace the chicken breasts with chicken thighs in this recipe. Chicken thighs tend to be more flavorful and tender than chicken breasts because of the higher fat content. Also, chicken thighs are typically a cheaper cut of meat than chicken breasts.
If you are going to buy chicken thighs, I recommend buying boneless skinless chicken thighs because with both the skin and bone removed shredding the chicken will be much easier.
Next, add the taco seasoning and a can of Rotel tomatoes.
I usually keep a few cans of Rotel in my pantry because it is a great way to add extra flavor to recipes. If you don’t have a can at home and are dying to get started with this recipe, simply swap the Rotel with a jar of your favorite salsa.
KITCHEN TIP: Make a large batch of taco seasoning to keep in the pantry to use with a variety of recipes. My Chicken Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe combines a variety of spices to create a flavorful seasoning great for this recipe or any other taco dish!
Then, secure the lid and set the timer for 8 minutes. Once the steam has been released, use two forks to carefully shred the chicken.
The fact that I can make this recipe from start to finish in less than 20 minutes is the #1 reason that this taco dinner is a top pick for my family.
CAN I FREEZE LEFTOVERS?
Yes! This is a great recipe to use to meal prep for future nights when you come home & need a quick meal. After the chicken is cooked, add to a freezer bag and lay flat in your freezer.
I freeze the leftovers to use for chicken tacos or serve in Homemade Taco Shell Bowls. I also love to use the leftover shredded chicken to make my Southwest Chicken Chili or Creamy Chicken Enchiladas.
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE TACO TOPPINGS?
You can almost always find lettuce, Cotija cheese & tomatoes in my fridge because I like to keep these ingredients handy.
Here are a few taco toppings that I will add to the dinner table:
- Avocado slices
- Sour cream
- Finely chopped jalapeños
- Pico de Gallo
- Pickled red onions
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
One of my new favorite toppings is Pineapple Guacamole. The sweet pineapple combined with the creamy avocado makes a tasty taco topping. When it comes to toppings, I recommend being adventurous & trying something different on each taco!
Looking for more healthy instant pot recipes?
- Chinese Honey Garlic Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Instant Pot Colcannon
- Pulled Pork Roast Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Thighs
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts check for gluten free
- 10 ounce can Rotel tomatoes check for gluten free
- 1 package taco seasoning check for gluten free
- 3/4 cup chicken broth check for gluten free
- gluten-free flour or corn tortillas for serving
- Add ingredients to the instant pot. Add all ingredients into the bottom of the instant pot. Cover and make sure it's set to sealing.2 lbs. chicken breasts, 10 ounce can Rotel tomatoes, 1 package taco seasoning, 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Cook. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release and shred chicken with two forks.
- Serve. Serve with gluten-free flour or corn tortillas and your favorite taco toppings.gluten-free flour or corn tortillas for serving