Southwest flavors shine in this shredded chicken chili recipe. Made in 30 minutes, this one-pot soup recipe is a delicious family dinner idea. Southwest chicken chili is a must try recipe.
Have you tried your hand at white chicken chili yet? If not, there is always a first time!
This gluten-free recipe is made with chicken thighs, great northern beans, chicken stock, green chilies, and chili powder all blended into the best chicken chili recipe you’ll ever make.
Keep reading for simple instructions or watch the how-to video now!
This white chicken chili is really easy to make and is really versatile to fit your needs. Check out these easy swaps:
- Use a rotisserie chicken and skip the step of cooking the chicken
- Use chicken breasts rather than chicken thighs
- Use canned chicken
- Use 3-4 cans of great northern beans for a thicker soup
- Swap great northern beans for another white bean
- Use fajita seasoning rather than taco seasoning
- Stir 1/4 cup coconut milk into the soup at the end of cooking for an Indian chili chicken recipe
If you live in a cold weather state as I do, chili is a staple. It’s like a necessary meal that shows up very, very often. We have chili not only for dinner, but for game nights, family gatherings, and holiday get-togethers. What’s better than a build your own bowl of soup?!
You can find my favorite beef chili recipe here, and if you’re open to trying my Pumpkin Chili recipe (it’s made in the crockpot!), you won’t be disappointed. I’m quickly falling for this chili chicken recipe and I think you will too!
This easy southwest chicken chili is becoming a favorite not only because it’s super easy to make, but because the fresh southwest flavors simply shine.
This recipe uses a homemade taco seasoning recipe that is amazing and has lots of chili powder and cumin, but you can use store bought too. In addition to the chicken and beans, you’ll find garlic, chicken broth, and green chilis (which aren’t spicy!).
Speaking of spice, my kids are not into spicy food… but I am. You can please kids and adults alike by adding spice by adding a touch of cayenne pepper, sriracha, or sliced jalapenos to your bowl of chicken chili.
I serve chili with chicken with a variety of toppings kids love including:
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- green onions
- a squeeze of fresh lime juice
- sour cream or greek yogurt which stirred in makes it a creamy chicken chili.
Kids love getting to choose their own toppings and it makes for a fun dinner idea!
How To Make Chili Chicken Recipe
- Start with your favorite chicken. This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken thighs because of the flavor they provide and the kids love them factor.
Kitchen Tip: To simplify, use rotisserie chicken or canned chicken, whichever fits your schedule.
- Choose your white beans. I love great northern beans, but any white bean works as a substitute.
- Add extra beans for a thicker soup or use less chicken broth.
- Adjust the thickness of the chili with more or less chicken broth.
- Choose to make your own taco seasoning or use storebought. The homemade recipe is super easy though and makes enough for many recipes to come and quite a bit of money too.
- Choose your toppings! Staples at my house include cheese and crushed tortilla chips for the kids and fresh lime juice, greek yogurt, and cilantro for the adults. Choose whatever your family enjoys!
- Add all the ingredients (including raw chicken) to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken thighs, using two forks, shred them then add them back to the slow cooker.
- Dish soup into bowls and top with your favorite toppings!
How to freeze White Chicken Chili
- Prepare recipe as instructed
- Scoop into an airtight container such as Tupperware or large Mason jars. If you use mason jars make sure to leave enough space at the top because the soup expands as it freezes and could crack the glass if there is not enough space in the jar.
How to reheat Chicken Chili From Frozen
- Remove from freezer and place in the refrigerator to defrost the night before planning to serve.
- Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
- You can also reheat by placing the soup in the crockpot on low for 4 hours then let the crockpot keep it warm the rest of the day.
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!Print
Southwest flavors shine in this chili chicken recipe. Made in 30 minutes, this one-pot soup recipe is a delicious family dinner idea. Southwest chicken chili is a must try recipe.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 15.5 oz. cans great northern beans, drained
- 7 oz. can diced green chilies
- 4 tbsp. homemade chicken taco seasoning (or 1 packet taco seasoning)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- olive oil
- optional: greek yogurt, fresh lime slices, cilantro, tortilla chips
- Over medium-high heat, add olive oil to a large stockpot. Sear chicken thighs for about 4-6 minutes, or until browned on one side.
- Flip chicken thighs and continue cooking until cooked through, about another 4-6 minutes.
- Add garlic.
- Shred chicken thighs using 2 forks into bite-sized chunks.
- Add taco seasoning, stir, and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, beans, green chilis.
- Simmer for 20 minutes
- Serve topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt, squeeze of lime juice, cilantro and crushed tortilla chips.
FREE Kids Cooking eBook!
Do you want your children eating a more varied diet, but wonder how to get more fruit and veggies into their meals & snacks? This eBook is a fun filled way to get kids eating better while having age appropriate fun!