Learn how to pound chicken breasts thin. Pounding chicken cutlets helps with even baking and tenderizing the meat. Use this technique any time you’re cooking chicken for moist delicious chicken your family will love!
We walk you each step of the way to successfully pound chicken breasts thin. We also share our favorite ways to serve chicken. Bake to enjoy plain, incorporate into a meal, or turn into a delicious recipe to easily serve any night of the week!
For more how-to tutorials, check out How To Boil Chicken Legs, How To Make Gluten-Free Tortillas, and How To Cut A Bell Pepper.
Pounding chicken is a quick and easy way to ensure your chicken is tender and moist once cooked. The days of dried-out chicken are over once you switch to this technique!
Thin chicken is also the answer to getting dinner on the table quicker than ever. We know firsthand how busy families can be during the week and even on the weekends. With minimal equipment and ingredients, you can have thin chicken prepped and baked in just 15 minutes.
Let’s get started!
How To Pound Chicken Thin
Start off by gathering a sharp knife, cutting board and cling wrap, and 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Slice chicken breasts in half
Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise. This is also referred to as butterflying chicken.
Place 4 pieces of chicken onto plastic wrap
Place the chicken breasts onto plastic wrap. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Using a mallet or rolling pin, flatten the chicken breast to be of even thickness.
Pro Tip: Swap the plastic wrap with Ziploc bags if preferred.
Use as desired
Use the chicken in a recipe or season with salt and pepper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F.
Baked Chicken Meal Prep Ideas
Baked and seasoned chicken is a great meal prep idea to make ahead then incorporate into meals throughout the week. Here are a few different ways baked chicken can be turned into delicious meals the whole family will love.
- Slice and sauté with onions and peppers before placing in Gluten-Free Tortillas for fajitas
- Shred and season with Chicken Taco Seasoning for tacos or burrito bowls
- Chop and mix into Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie or Gluten Free Chicken Casserole
Share your favorite way to use meal prepped chicken below – we love to hear what you come up with!
Delicious Chicken Recipes
Another great option is pounding chicken thin before turning it into a flavorful dish. Here are a few easy chicken dishes to put on the menu rotation.
- Buffalo Chicken Breast Recipe
- Baked Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Baked Chicken and Brown Rice Casserole
- Comforting Chicken and Noodles (Crockpot)
- 20 Kid-Friendly Chicken Breast Recipes
- Chicken Enchilada Crock Pot Meal
- Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t own a mallet or looking for other options, use a rolling pin to roll the chicken to even thickness or pound the chicken with the bottom of a small skillet until thin.
Freshly baked chicken can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Flatten until the chicken breast is 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Any thinner will cause the chicken to tear or become dry once cooked.
Kids In The Kitchen
Cooking tips and suggestions for kids making this recipe.
- Covering the chicken with plastic wrap prevents splattering when hitting with the mallet or rolling pin. You can also use parchment paper if needed.
- Ensure the internal temperature is 165°F by inserting a meat thermometer into the center of the chicken.
- Use thin baked chicken for soups, stews, salads, tacos, wraps, sandwiches or your favorite recipe!
Even More How-To Tutorials
- How To Freeze Yogurt
- How to Freeze Pancakes
- How To Freeze Cooked Pasta
- How To Freeze Butternut Squash
- How To Boil Chicken Breasts
- How To Boil A Whole Chicken
- How To Cube A Watermelon
- How To Cut a Pineapple
How To Pound Chicken Thin
- mallet or rolling pin
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Slice chicken breasts in half. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise.
- Place 4 pieces of chicken onto plastic wrap. Place the chicken breasts onto plastic wrap. Cover with another piece of plastic wrap. Using a mallet or rolling pin, flatten the chicken breast to be of even thickness.
- Use as desired. Use the chicken in a recipe or season with salt and pepper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165°F.
If you enjoyed these recipes make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below!
Then follow us on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. We love seeing what you come up with!
Leave a Reply