Our easy buffalo chicken breasts are a quick and easy kid-friendly dinner prepared in a skillet. Features buffalo sauce, Colby jack cheese, then topped with ranch for serving. Gluten-free.
Say goodbye to dried-out chicken breast recipes and welcome this flavor-packed recipe to the dinner table. It is a recipe the whole family will request time and time again.
Our recipe for buffalo chicken was created with kids in mind. By stuffing the chicken with cheese and drizzling with ranch, kids handle the tang from the buffalo sauce without a complaint! It is the perfect combination of ingredients, creating a dish that is kid-approved!
Let’s get started! This buffalo chicken recipe requires equipment and ingredients that you likely have on hand. Gather then follow the directions or print the recipe card below to create this recipe that will quickly become a dinner staple.
- large skillet
- cutting board
- pastry brust
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 4 slices Colby jack cheese
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- salt and pepper
- ranch for drizzling optional
How To Make
Follow the simple step-by-step instructions to have this buffalo-style chicken breast recipe ready to go in under 25 minutes!
Prep the chicken
Start by cutting the large chicken breasts in half by carefully slicing a pocket into each piece of chicken. Slice halfway through the top portion, taking care to not cut it in half.
Slicing the chicken in half, also known as butterflying chicken, helps the chicken breasts to cook evenly without compromising flavor or texture. You can use this method of cooking for any chicken breast recipe.
Stuff the chicken with cheese
Next, place one slice of cheese, folded in half, into each of the chicken pockets you cut. We used Colby Jack cheese, which is a kid favorite.
Mix It Up: Swap the Colby Jack with mozzarella, pepper jack, cheddar, or cream cheese.
Brush with buffalo sauce
Using a pastry brush, brush buffalo sauce onto the tops of the chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.
Pro Tip: Sweet Baby Rays buffalo sauce is a flavorful gluten-free option.
Heat oil and cook chicken
Last but not least, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and carefully place the chicken in the pan. Cook the chicken breasts until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165° F, flipping halfway through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Serve this recipe with a side of Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Instant Pot Red Potatoes, Make Ahead Roasted Potatoes or Hasselback Potatoes with Cheese. The buffalo chicken breast is also delicious served on a bun or in a wrap, shredded on top of pizza, or tossed on top of a salad.
Absolutely, it is a great recipe to prep the day before, marinate overnight then cook when ready to serve. We recommend butterflying the chicken and placing in a bag with 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce if prepping ahead. Then, stuff with the cheese and brush with additional buffalo sauce (if desired) right before placing in the skillet.
Leftover chicken can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. For a kid-friendly storing idea, chop the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces that can easily be reheated for lunch or dinner the next day.
More Chicken Breast Recipes For Kids
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- How To Bake Thin Sliced Chicken Breasts
- 20 Flavorful Kid-Friendly Chicken Breast Recipes
- How To Boil Chicken Breasts
- Kid Friendly Chicken Noodle Soup
- How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
- How To Poach Frozen Chicken Breasts in Instant Pot
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Buffalo Chicken Breast
- 1 pound chicken breasts ✅
- 4 slices colby jack cheese ✅
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce ✅
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ranch for drizzling ✅ optional
- Prep the chicken. Cut large chicken breasts in half. Carefully slice a pocket into each piece of chicken by slicing halfway through the top portion, taking care to not cut it in half.1 pound chicken breasts
- Stuff the chicken with cheese. Place one slice of cheese, folded in half, into each of the chicken pockets you cut.4 slices colby jack cheese
- Brush with buffalo sauce. Using a pastry brush, brush buffalo sauce onto the to tops of the chicken breasts. Season with salt and pepper.1/4 cup buffalo sauce, salt and pepper
- ⭐️Heat oil and cook chicken. Heat the olive oil then place the chicken breast into the hot skillet. Cook for about 8 minutes or until the internal temperature hits 165°F.2 tablespoon olive oil
- Serve. Serve hot drizzled with ranch if desired.ranch for drizzling
- Mix it up by swapping the Colby Jack with mozzarella, pepper jack, cheddar or cream cheese.
- Use Sweet Baby Rays for a gluten-free buffalo sauce.
- Serve on a bun or in a wrap, tossed on top of a salad, or shredded on top of pizza.
- Cook the chicken breasts until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.