Our hamburger hashbrown casserole is the epitome of comfort food. It’s made with lean ground beef for a balanced meal, gluten-free cream of mushroom soup for a creamy texture, and a medley of seasonings for depth of flavor.
What sets this recipe apart is its simplicity; it’s perfect for a quick weeknight meal or a cozy weekend gathering. Just brown the beef, combine the ingredients, and bake. You’ll have a bubbling, hearty casserole that your kids will request time and again!
Casserole recipes simplify meal prep with quick cooking, ideal for busy families. They’re perfect for batch cooking and adaptable to dietary needs. Find substitutions and tips to suit your taste. Enjoy the original recipe or skip to the card for a delightful meal.
Table of Contents
Ingredients & Variations
- Ground beef – Substitute with lean ground turkey, chicken or pork based on preferences or what is available. For a vegetarian twist, opt for tofu, mushrooms or beans instead of lean ground beef.
- Onion – browning the ground beef with a diced onion brings a ton of flavor. Swap with 1-2 teaspoons of onion powder if preferred.
- Gluten-free cream of mushroom soup – replace with a homemade mushroom puree, gluten-free alfredo sauce or even creamy coconut milk for a dairy-free option. Cream of chicken, cream of potato and cream of celery are also great ingredient swaps.
- Milk – skim, 2% or whole milk all work great. For a dairy-free alternative, consider coconut or unsweetened soy milk.
- Seasonings – the combination of onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper gives this dish all the flavor it needs. To add a hint of spice, consider sprinkling chili powder into the mix.
- Frozen hashbrowns – we prefer shredded hashbrowns, but diced hashbrowns are another option.
- French-style green beans – French-style green beans are tender and a great addition but can easily be swapped with traditional whole green beans.
- Sharp cheddar cheese – cheddar gives the dish a sharp and tangy taste, but can be replaced with mozzarella, Swiss, pepper jack or even cream cheese for a rich flavor. Use a dairy-free alternative or omit if needed.
How To Make
Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Brown the ground beef. In a large skillet brown the ground beef with the diced onion. Turn off the heat.
Stir in the seasonings and hashbrowns. Add the cream of mushroom soups, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined.
Add the drained green beans, hashbrowns, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir well and place into the baking pan.
Bake. Bake for 20 minutes then remove from the oven and sprinkle with the rest of the shredded cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
What To Eat with Hash Brown Casserole
Hamburger casserole is a versatile and comforting dish that can be served as a complete meal. For a larger variety on the table, consider any of these side suggestions.
If serving for breakfast or brunch, pair with other morning favorites such as scrambled eggs, toast, yogurt, fruit salad or crispy bacon.
For dinner, a fresh fruit salsa or leafy green salad are fantastic ways to keep things on the lighter side but encourage your family to eat more fruits and vegetables.
You can also look at serving this as the main dish surrounded by a bunch of toppings. From avocado slices and salsa to diced tomatoes and chopped bell peppers, there are easy ways to customize this dish even more.
Tips for Making Casseroles
- Choose the right casserole dish by finding a dish that is appropriately sized. We use a 9×13 baking dish for this recipe with success. If you only have smaller dishes, then make half a batch or split the recipe between two dishes.
- Customize to your preference by incorporating a variety of flavors, textures and colors. This makes the casserole appealing but also balances the ingredients to include proteins, vegetables, starches and more.
- When working with hashbrowns, season well with a blend of spices. Salt and pepper are essential, but the addition of other seasonings helps to enhance the flavor of the potatoes.
- When adding cheese, mix into the casserole and layer on top to ensure you get the cheesy flavor with each bite.
- Cover with foil when reheating a casserole to prevent the cheesy top from burning or becoming too crispy.
- Precooking ingredients like ground beef helps to speed up the cooking process but also ensure these ingredients are fully cooked when the casserole is done baking.
- Always allow the casserole to rest for a few minutes before serving. This helps the flavors meld together and makes it easier to scoop and serve.
- Assemble ahead of time then refrigerate or freezer until you are ready to bake. Keep reading for details on how to make this hashbrown casserole recipe in advance.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, thawing the hashbrowns is not required. It is best to add frozen hashbrowns directly to the casserole. The heat from the oven will gradually defrost and cook the hashbrowns.
The main reason that this hash brown casserole would be mushy is due to either not draining the green beans or using a higher fat ground beef. Draining the can of green beans before incorporating is necessary. Also, we recommend the lean ground beef to prevent excess grease. If using a higher fat ground meat, be sure to drain prior to mixing with the other ingredients.
Cooked hamburger when stored properly in the fridge will last for about 3-4 days. This is another easy way to meal prep. Cook a large batch of ground beef at the start of the week then use in several recipes, like this one. Other delicious ground beef recipes include Creamy Pasta Recipe With Ground Beef, Taco Dip with Ground Beef, Mexican Stuffed Shells with Ground Beef and Ground Beef and Bean Burrito.
Making homemade hashbrowns is an option instead of using a store-bought brand. Start by peeling Russet potatoes then rinse to remove any excess starch. Use a grater or food processor with a grating attachment to shred the potatoes. To remove excess water, place the shredded potatoes between several layers of paper towels and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Then, use your homemade hashbrowns in this recipe as directed.
How To Make in Advance
Gather all the ingredients and equipment needed for this easy hashbrown casserole. Then, follow the recipe instructions to assemble the casserole in a baking dish. Set the remaining shredded cheese to the side.
Instead of baking, cover the casserole with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight.
When ready to serve, preheat the oven and remove the casserole from the refrigerator. If able, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes or increase the total cooking time by 5-7 minutes.
Bake as directed, sprinkling with the rest of the shredded cheese after 20 minutes. To check the doneness, use a kitchen thermometer to ensure the casserole has reached 165°F and is safe to eat.
Storage & Reheating Instructions
- Allow the casserole to cool to room temperature before storing. If you still have a large batch left, consider diving it into smaller portions. This prevents the entire casserole from being reheated multiple times.
- Once cooled, transfer to airtight container(s). You can also cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap or aluminum foil if you plan to consume within 1-2 days.
- Store ground beef hash brown casserole in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- If you want to freeze this casserole, wrap the casserole or divided portions in plastic wrap then place in a resealable freezer bag or container. Store frozen casseroles for up to 3 months.
- To reheat, place in a preheated 350°F oven until it’s heated through, and the internal temperature is 165°F. You can also microwave in 30-second increments until hot.
Kids In The Kitchen
Cooking tips and suggestions for kids making this recipe.
- To brown the ground beef, carefully add to a hot sauté pan. Break into large chunks then let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Continue to break and cook until there is no more pink. Remember to prevent the oven to 400°F before you start browning the meat.
- It is very important to drain both the green beans to prevent a watery casserole. Ask for help when using a can opener. Drain by dumping the can of green beans into a colander over the sink. Hold the colander over the sink until the dripping stops. Gently shake the colander to remove any excess liquid then pour into the pan with the other ingredients.
- Cover the hashbrown hamburger casserole with tin foil if reheating to prevent the top layer of cheese from burning.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
- Healthy Taco Casserole
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- Sweet Potato Casserole With Marshmallows
- Baked Chicken and Brown Rice Casserole
- Gluten Free Tuna Casserole Recipe
- Make-Ahead French Toast Casserole
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef ✅
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 10.5 ounce gluten-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder ✅
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ✅
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 30 ounces frozen hashbrowns ✅
- 15 ounce French-style green beans drained
- 2 cup sharp cheddar cheese divided✅
- Preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- ⭐️ Brown the ground beef. In a large skillet brown the ground beef with the diced onion. Turn off the heat.1 pound lean ground beef, 1 medium onion
- Stir in the seasonings and hashbrowns. Add the cream of mushroom soups, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined. Add the drained green beans, hashbrowns, and 1/2 cup of cheese. Stir well and place into the baking pan.2 10.5 ounce gluten-free cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup milk, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 30 ounces frozen hashbrowns, 15 ounce French-style green beans, 2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- ⭐️ Bake. Bake for 20 minutes then remove from the oven and sprinkle with the rest of the shredded cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.2 cup sharp cheddar cheese