Our ground beef and bean burrito is a kid favorite! It’s a simple to make dinner with ground beef, refried beans, and plenty of cheese that packs great for camping trips, frozen and reheated for lunchboxes or served as dinner. Gluten-free.
My family loves camping and we look forward to our trip each summer. Popping a tent, roasting marshmallows and exploring nature each day makes for some great memories.
If you camp with a large group of people, then you will definitely want to add this recipe to your list of easy camping meals for large groups. The beef and beans burritos can be customized to everyone’s liking and enjoyed around the campfire.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
HOW TO MAKE
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine ground taco meat with refried beans.
- Evenly divide meat mixture between flour tortillas.
- Top with cheese and any additional toppings.
- Fold sides in and roll tightly.
PRO TIP: Make these burritos before you leave for camping, wrap in tin foil and store in your cooler. Your family can grab and reheat as desired.
Get started by cooking the ground beef and refried beans. Since I make these beef and bean burritos before we leave, I make both the beef and refried beans homemade.
Related: How To Cook Frozen Ground Beef In The Instant Pot
Once the ground beef is browned and fully cooked, I add my homemade Chicken Taco Seasoning for flavor. Yes, I said chicken taco seasoning but it is delicious on beef tacos too.
For years, I would buy the taco seasoning packets but constantly forgot to keep an extra in the pantry. I decided to make a large batch of this taco seasoning to always have on hand.
You can also make refried beans at home. It is a lot easier than you think and the flavor is 100% better than any canned variety. Crockpot Refried Beans
Once both the ground beef and refried beans are done cooking, combine in a medium-sized bowl.
- Diced tomatoes
- Black olives
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Green onions
Evenly distribute the beef, beans and other toppings in the flour tortillas.
Next, fold and wrap tortillas.
Once the burritos are folded, I will wrap each burrito in a piece of parchment paper and aluminum foil for easy transport to the campsite.
PRO TIP: If you added additional toppings to the burritos, write the ingredients on the foil to keep track of the different varieties.
1. Double or Triple Recipe
2. Set out meat mixture, cheese, tortillas, toppings, and tin foil and let everyone assemble their own burrito.
3. Heat on campfire or grill.
I typically heat our beef and beans burritos over a campfire using our campsite grill because in under 5 minutes the burrito is hot & ready to eat.
If you are traveling with a large camping group or meet people at the campsite, this recipe is perfect for a meal. Grab the ingredients & head to the campfire!
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Ground Beef and Bean Burrito
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked
- 1 packet taco seasoning ✅
- 16 ounces can refried beans ✅
- 1.5 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese ✅
- 8 gluten free flour tortillas
- Blend the meat and the beans. In a medium-sized bowl, combine ground beef, taco seasoning, and refried beans. Evenly divide meat mixture between flour tortillas. Top with cheese and any additional toppings.1 pound ground beef, cooked, 1 packet taco seasoning, 16 ounces can refried beans, 1.5 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 8 gluten free flour tortillas
- Wrap the tortillas. Fold sides in and roll tightly.
To Heat In Oven:
- ⭐️Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat beef and beans burritos for 5-10 minutes, or until warmed through.
To Heat Over Campfire:
- ⭐️Wrap burritos in heavy duty tin foil and place on grill grate over the fire. Heat for 3-5 minutes, rotating the burrito frequently.
If you enjoyed these recipes make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below!
Then follow us on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. We love seeing what you come up with!
I swapped ground turkey and they were great!
Dorothy MacRae says
can you freeze them and if so how do you cook frozen ones. please reply to email thankyou!!
Jodi Danen, RDN says
Hi Dorothy. I sent an email, but thought I’d answer here too. You can freeze the burritos. I like to wrap them in parchment paper and then place them into a ziplock bag to freeze. The parchment-wrapped burrito can go straight into the microwave, or you can unwrap and reheat it as well. I’d start with 2 minutes, flip then heat for another minute or two.