A canned chicken quesadilla for kids made with chicken, canned refried beans, and lots of cheese, this is an easy camping meal or lunch that comes together quickly! Gluten-free.
Choosing food for camping can sometimes be a challenge because there are so many delicious options to choose from. However, I have FINALLY narrowed down my list of easy camp meals.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
I am super excited to add this Chicken Quesadilla to my menu list. You can easily make shredded chicken by baking the chicken in your preferred method (we love boiling chicken thighs) then shredding chicken in a Kitchenaid or stand mixer. Make sure to use boneless chicken though.
In under 10 minutes with less than 5 ingredients, you can create a lunch meal for all the campers at your campsite. Plus, by using canned ingredients for this healthy quesadilla recipe, you will save room in the coolers.
As for RV and camping travel, fridge/ freezer space is key.
Planning and bringing as many non-refrigerated items as possible and filling in with refrigerated things is important.
Limiting the cooking tools you bring on camping trips is important in order to save valuable space. It can get overwhelming with the amount you need to pack between the tent supplies, personal bags, and food ingredients.
Make sure a cast iron pan is on your packing list. I love my camping cast iron pan because I can cook and/or reheat a variety of recipes in the pan.
If you have not used cast iron before, try it on your next trip & let me know your thoughts!
To start, gather the ingredients.
- 16 oz. can refried beans
- 4.5 oz. can white chunk chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 8-inch gluten free tortillas
HOW TO MAKE
- Heat cast iron pan on the stovetop or on the grill grate over medium-high heat.
- Add a drizzle of oil to the pan.
- Place quesadilla into the pan.
- Cook about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cheese is melted
- Serve immediately
Next, lay each tortilla on a flat surface. Then, smear a scoop of refried beans on the tortillas and top with canned shredded chicken and cheese.
Black olives, chopped tomatoes, spinach leaves, onion slices, jalapeños or any other ingredients you prefer can be added to the quesadilla.
Easy canned items to pack include a can of black olives and a can of Rotel to add to the quesadilla at the campsite.
Add the quesadilla to a heated cast iron pan. Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes or until warm. Remove from pan, slice & serve.
Salsa, sour cream, jalapeños and cilantro are great optional sides to serve with this bean and cheese quesadilla with chicken.
Just make sure to consider the amount of space you have when deciding which side options to pack.
I hope your campers are looking forward to trying this recipe as much as mine. I have a feeling that this lunch meal is going to become a breakfast, lunch, and dinner meal!
easy camping lunches
- Bean and Cheese Burritos
- Egg McMuffin
- Kielbasa, Pepper, Onion and Potato Hash
- Quick and Easy Yogurt Parfaits
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Canned Chicken Quesadilla
- 16 ounce can refried beans ✅
- 4.5 onnce can white chunk chicken ✅
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ✅
- 10 gluten-free tortillas
- ⭐️Prep the pan. Heat cast iron pan on the stovetop or on the grill grate over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of oil to the pan.
- Assemble the quesadilla. Spread the refried beans onto a tortilla. Top with chicken and cheese. Place a tortilla on top. Place quesadilla into the pan.16 ounce can refried beans, 4.5 onnce can white chunk chicken, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 10 gluten-free tortillas
- ⭐️Cook. Place the quesadilla into the pan. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Serve. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
If you enjoyed these recipes make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below!
Then follow us on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. We love seeing what you come up with!
I wouldn’t have thought to use canned chicken. Great idea!