Baked Apples are the perfect healthy dessert idea for any meal. Flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg blend perfectly with the sweetness of maple syrup and citrus juice. A must try healthy fall dessert.
This simple, healthy dessert recipe is delicious and nutritious. It’s also a great way to use up those apples sitting in the back of your produce drawer.
How To Store Apples
- Remove apples from the bag they were sold in so they are allowed to breathe.
- Refrigerated, apples will last 6-8 weeks.
- On the counter, apples will keep a week or two
Kitchen Tip: Apples ripen faster because the enzymes are much more active at room temperature.
How To Keep Apples Fresh After Picking:
- Keep them whole, don’t cut them until you want to use them
- Keep them in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator
- Keep them separate from other fruits and vegetables, the gasses they give off speed the ripening process
Fill your house with the smell of baking apples tonight with this simple dessert recipe.
How To Make A Quick Healthy Dessert
- Peel and core the apples, then dice
- Juice the orange
- Combine all ingredients into a pan on the stovetop
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until apples are soft and the syrup thickens
Watch To See How Easy This Healthy Fall Dessert Is To Make!
Delicious Recipes Sent Weekly
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
These apples cook in just 10 minutes on the stovetop. I use my medium-sized saucepan, you can find it here.
If you enjoyed the recipe make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!Print
Apples are simmered in maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg along with fresh orange juice for a delicious and healthy dessert recipe.
- 4 green apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 red apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 small orange, juiced (or other citrus fruit)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine all ingredients
- Simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes or until apples are softened and syrup thickens.
- Serve as is or top with cool whip or vanilla ice cream for a more decadent treat.
For more healthy dessert recipes try these!