Looking for a healthy dessert idea? This light summer dessert may look complicated, but it’s simple to make. Wow, your guests with this beautiful & light dessert recipe!
Why would I want to spend all that time assembling a dessert?!
This is what I thought when I saw these fancy trifle bowl desserts served at parties. Oh- I love eating them, but never wanted to be the one to make it.
I kept seeing the beautiful bowls at the store and decided I was finally going to tackle this light summer dessert – the trifle. How hard could it be?
Not hard at all, it turns out.
This pretty little dessert takes no time at all to make – I’ll walk you through step by step. But first…
What is a trifle?
The first trifle recipe dates all the way back to the 1700’s. During the mid-1700s cake (or biscuits), alcohol, and custard were combined in the trifle bowl as a way of using leftovers.
Healthy Recipes Sent Weekly
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
Per What’s Cooking America, the recipe for trifle came to America via the British who settled in the South. It was popular among Southern planters who loved indulgent desserts. Southern hostesses prided themselves on their elegant table settings and considered a cut-glass trifle bowl to be mandatory. I can see why these bowls display the dessert perfectly.
The recipe I am sharing today is not a true trifle because it contains no alcohol or fruit juice soaked cake.
With summer right around the corner, I wanted to develop a beautiful, easy and healthy summer dessert for parties, BBQ’s, and get-togethers.
Using Greek yogurt flavored with store-bought lemon curd, this recipe cuts fat and calories from more traditional recipes which use cream cheese or custard. The flavor is light, lemony, and bright.
This is an easy summer dessert with few ingredients. This healthy dessert idea requires just 6 ingredients and comes together quickly.
Keep reading to see how to make a trifle the easy way:
This is a fun dessert to make in individual serving sized containers like these I just picked up on Amazon:
You could use any kind of clear cup otherwise.
I liked the little grab and go cups the best. This way the dessert looks pretty right up until the last cup is gone :). My kids gravitated straight towards these as well.
These dessert cups are perfect for little hands to assemble, making them a great way to get your kids in the kitchen!Print
The perfect light and beautiful dessert to bring to your next party. Greek yogurt is flavored with lemon curd making a delicious sauce that is layered with Nilla Wafers, cool whip, and fruit.
- 1 box Reduced Fat Nilla Wafers, crushed (or angel food cake, sliced into chunks)
- 1 container fresh strawberries, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 whole pineapple, sliced into bite-sized chunks (or canned chunk pineapple, drained)
- 1 16 oz. lite Cool Whip
- 1 32 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup lemon curd (such as Dickinson’s) (use 3/4 cup for more lemony flavor.)
- Place Nilla Wafers into a ziplock bag and crush into large chunks with mallet or rolling pin.
- In blender or food processor, blend yogurt with lemon curd until well mixed. Set aside.
- Layer 1/2 Nilla Wafers on bottom of trifle dish, or divide 1/2 among small parfait cups.
- Arrange strawberries around bottom of dish.
- Add 1/2 of pineapple chunks.
- Drizzle with 1/2 yogurt mix. If making small cups, divide 1/2 of the yogurt among all the cups.
- Top with 1/2 Cool Whip. If making individual sizes, divide this equally amongst cups.
- Add another layer of strawberries around the outside of the serving dish.
- Layer with the rest of Nilla Wafers. Reserve a small amount for garnishing if desired.
- Add remaining pineapple chunks.
- Pour remaining yogurt on top of pineapple and strawberries.
- Top with the rest of the Cool Whip.
- Garnish with fruit, pineapple top, and crushed wafers if desired.
Have fun garnishing this beauty! I love topping desserts with the pineapple top. I think in this recipe it is perfection.
I’d love to hear what you look forward to serving this summer!
If you liked this recipe, you might enjoy these as well:
FREE Kids Cooking eBook!
Do you want your children eating a more varied diet, but wonder how to get more fruit and veggies into their meals & snacks? This eBook is a fun filled way to get kids eating better while having age appropriate fun!