Crockpot Lasagna Recipe is a healthy crockpot recipe that tastes as good as it looks. This simple lasagna is a delicious crockpot meal for kids your whole family will love. Gluten-free.
This crockpot recipe using ground beef is the perfect example of a healthy kid-friendly slow cooker recipe. With half the cheese, lean beef, and simple wholesome ingredients, this recipe is one you need to try. The flavor that develops while cooking all day is so good!
HOW TO MAKE
To get started, heat olive oil in the bottom of the skillet and add onions. Sauté onions until translucent. Next, add the garlic and oregano for seasoning. These two spices are my favorites for lasagna but feel free to add other seasonings like basil, Italian seasoning, and/or onion powder as desired.
Once you start to smell the garlic cooking in the skillet, add the lean ground beef.
Then, add the tomatoes to the skillet and stir.
PRO TIP: If you are looking for a creative way to increase vegetables at dinner, add finely chopped bell peppers, mushrooms, kale, or spinach to the beef mixture. The smaller the chop, the less likely your kids (or husband) will pick out the veggies!
Once the beef is fully cooked, it is time to start layering the ingredients in the crockpot. Start by adding a layer of beef to the bottom.
Next, add a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles.
Then, add a layer of cottage cheese. My family likes cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese but you can make an easy ingredient swap and add a layer of ricotta cheese if you prefer.
Next, add a layer of mozzarella cheese on top of the cottage cheese.
Last but not least, add 1/2 can of crushed tomatoes on top of the cheese. Repeat the layers 1-2 more times depending on the size of your slow cooker.
1/4 ground beef –> lasagna noodles –> cottage cheese –> 1/4 mozzarella cheese –> crushed tomatoes.
If you are ready to start cooking, turn the lasagna on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
To simplify the recipe, brown ground beef the night before and assemble the lasagna. Put the whole removable liner in the refrigerator overnight. Put it back in the crockpot the next morning to cook while you’re away. The last of the cheese gets placed on the top right before serving so it’s fresh and delicious and ready to serve!
More ground beef recipes
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground round beef ✅
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano ✅
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained ✅
- 15 gluten-free lasagna noodles (not oven-ready noodles) ✅
- 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes ✅
- 15 ounces can tomato sauce ✅
- 16 ounces cottage cheese ✅
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided ✅
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese ✅
- ⭐️Saute onions and beef. In a medium-sized skillet, heat the olive oil. Sauté onions until translucent. Add beef and cook until browned. Drain. Add garlic and oregano to beef, and let cook 1 minute. Stir in diced tomatoes.1 lb. ground round beef, 1 medium onion, diced, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 3 cloves garlic, minced, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 15 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- Layer the lasagna. In the crockpot, layer 1/4th of beef mixture. Add 4-5 lasagna noodles on top, breaking to fit. Top with 1/3 cottage cheese then 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese. Pour the whole can of tomato sauce on top of the mozzarella cheese. Layer another 1/4 of the ground beef, 4-5 lasagna noodles, 1/3 cottage cheese, and 1/4 mozzarella cheese. Pour 1/2 of the can of crushed tomatoes on top of the mozzarella cheese.15 gluten-free lasagna noodles (not oven-ready noodles), 15 ounces can tomato sauce, 16 ounces cottage cheese, 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided, 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- Repeat the layers once more. 1/4 ground beef, lasagna noodles, the last of the cottage cheese, 1/4 mozzarella cheese, and then the rest of the crushed tomatoes. Add the last of the beef mixture on top. Cover. Place into refrigerator or crockpot for cooking.
- Cook. Cook on low for 6 hours, or high for 4 hours. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Cover and let the cheese melt. Serve immediately.2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese