An easy banana bread recipe for kids packed with chocolate chips. This banana bread is baked to perfection, crunchy outside and moist inside, it’s the best banana bread recipe you’ll ever try. Toddler approved!
What do you do with overripe bananas that no one wants to eat anymore?
Don’t throw them away, either make this easy chocolate chip banana bread recipe (it’s a fantastic use for those black bananas on your counter!) or toss the overripe banana’s into your freezer for later.
Kitchen Tip: Freeze overripe bananas right in the peel or peel them and place them into a ziplock bag & freeze for later.
The recipe I’m sharing today is the best choc chip banana bread recipe I’ve had to date.
The method I use to bake this bread results in the most amazingly delicious & crispy outside, but perfectly moist inside – which is over the top yummy.
Watch the video or keep reading to learn how to make this easy banana bread recipe perfect every time!
How To Make
There are a few tricks you can use to make sure you have a delicious, moist chocolate chip banana bread every time:
- When folding wet ingredients into dry, make sure to not over stir. Just blend until most of the flour is mixed in.
- Use overly ripe bananas (or frozen) for moist bread
- Use oil, not butter, for moist bread (butter works better for cakes)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients including flour, salt, and baking soda
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the wet ingredients including sugar, eggs, oil, and almond extract
- Add the mashed bananas to the wet ingredients, stirring until well blended
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients stirring just until the ingredients start to blend
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until just blended. Do not over stir
- Prepare a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour batter into the pan
- Bake for 8 minutes on 425 degrees, then decrease the temperature to 350 degrees for 30- 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let’s take a closer look.
Start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees. The high heat is part of what contributes to the crunchy crust this amazing chocolate chip banana bread gets when it’s right out of the oven. This high heat helps the bread rise quickly for a taller, more domed result. This extra hot temp helps set the outer crust, developing a wonderful outside layer that will be browned with a delicious crunch.
Next, whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. You’ll be adding all the ingredients to this bowl eventually.
In a separate medium-sized bowl, combine the wet ingredients together. Fold in the mashed bananas.
If you’re using frozen bananas from your freezer that are in the peel, thaw them by soaking in a bowl of hot water.
Once they are soft enough to mash, remove the peel. The bananas will not look appetizing nor pretty but that’s ok! Overripe bananas pack a huge flavor punch and that’s what we are after.
Pro Tip: It’s easiest to peel bananas that were frozen from the bottom rather than trying to get them apart at the stem.
Once you have the wet ingredients combined, add them to the dry ingredients.
When you have the wet and dry ingredients just starting to blend together, add the chocolate chips.
Additions or Substitutions
- Chopped nuts or seeds
- A few tablespoons of peanut butter
- Extra chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips or toffee chips
- Fresh banana slices
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- milk chocolate chips
I stuck with simply semi-sweet chocolate chips. For more tips on taking banana bread to the next level with interesting ingredients check out his post from Serious Eats on 8 Easy Upgrades for Better Banana Bread.
Prepare your 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Kitchen Tip: You could change the recipe up and use muffin tins to make Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins instead.
Bake your chocolate chip banana bread until a knife inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.
Kitchen Tip: Store your banana bread in an airtight container for 1-2 days on the counter, for a week in the fridge, or 3 months frozen.
Pro Tip: Slice a loaf then spread the slices with a little butter and freeze in individual ziplock bags. This is perfect for grab-and-go snacks or lunch boxes!
This easy chocolate chip banana bread is the very best right out of the oven, but it is still delicious in the next few days as well.
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Banana Bread Recipe For Kids
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 medium overripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract ✅
- 1 teaspoon baking soda ✅
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips ✅
- Preheat the oven and prepare your pan. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a bread pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Blend the wet ingredients. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the wet ingredients including sugar, eggs, oil, and almond extract. Stir in the mashed banana.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients including flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Blend the wet and dry ingredients. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients stirring just until the ingredients start to blend.
- Blend in the chocolate chips. Add the chocolate chips and stir until just blended. Do not over-stir. Pour the batter into the pan. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
- ⭐️Bake for 8 minutes then lower heat. Bake for 8 minutes on 425, then turn the heat down to 350 degrees. Continue baking for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.