Chicken Sausage Soup is a quick and easy soup recipe that features time-saving ingredients including pre-cooked chicken sausage, frozen veggies, and pre-cooked rice to get a nourishing meal on the table when time is tight.
I am always on the search for a quick and simple soup recipe. This Chicken and Sausage Soup is everything that I want and more!
This sausage soup recipe is going to be your go-to dinner the next time you are in a time crunch.
With the pre-cooked chicken sausage, frozen veggies, and pre-cooked rice, this recipe is on the table in under 20 minutes.
How to Make
- With medium heat, warm olive oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven.
- Over medium-high heat, saute onions, carrots, and corn until onions are translucent.
- Move veggies to one side of the pot and add chicken sausages. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add minced garlic cloves, cook 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, soy sauce, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat off, stir in milk and rice.
- To finish the soup, give it a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve hot with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream if desired.
Start by adding the frozen roasted corn, frozen sliced carrots, and frozen chopped onion into a large stockpot or dutch oven. Over medium heat, sauté the vegetables until translucent.
PRO TIP: Frozen veggies are washed, blanched, cut, frozen and packaged all within a few hours after harvest. This process allows veggies to retain their nutritional content and provide us with a great time-saving option for any meal.
If desired, you can swap the frozen vegetables with fresh vegetables. You could even make your own Roasted Corn !
Once cooked, move the veggies to one side of the pot and add the pre-cooked chicken sausage slices.
Does chicken sausage come in different flavors?
Yes, it does! Chicken sausage is great to keep on hand for those nights when you don’t have hours or even 30 minutes to create a meal. I like to keep a few different flavors in the fridge at a time. Here are some of my favorite flavors:
- Roasted Pepper and Asiago Chicken Sausage
- Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage
- Spinach and Feta Chicken Sausage
- Buffalo Style Chicken Sausage
- Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage
- Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
Don’t see a flavor you like? Check out the full list of chicken sausage products and flavors HERE.
After the pre-cooked chicken sausage is browned, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Next, add the broth, soy sauce, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.
PRO TIP: If using regular soy sauce rather than low sodium soy sauce, cut the amount in at least half and taste test until you reach the preferred saltiness.
Add the pre-cooked rice to the pot and stir. You can use white, brown, jasmine, wild or basmati rice – SO many great options.
Pre-cooked rice is the way to go if you are looking to have this recipe done and served in a timely manner.
If preferred, you can make homemade rice and stir it into the pot.
Slowly pour in the milk and stir until combined. The milk adds a nice creaminess to the sausage soup.
Allow your soup to simmer until you are ready to serve.
REMINDER: Once the soup is finished simmering, remove the fresh thyme.
Last but not least, add a squeeze of lemon juice. The lemon juice adds a nice pop of brightness as a finish to the soup.
Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream, parmesan cheese, or Greek yogurt on the top.
Chicken sausage is a time-saving ingredient to keep on hand. There are SO many delicious recipes that you can add chicken sausage links to make your dinner meals quicker and your family a bit happier.
More chicken sausage recipes
- BBQ Chicken Sausage Pizza
- Sausage Penne Pasta
- Chicken Sausage Vegetable Hash
- Chicken Sausage Ravioli
- Chicken Sausage & Apple Stuffed Squash
- Chicken Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
If you enjoyed the recipe make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!
Chicken Sausage Soup
- 14 oz. bag frozen sliced carrots
- 10 oz. bag frozen roasted corn
- 1/2 cup frozen diced onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 package al fresco Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 2 (8.5) ounce bags precooked brown/wild rice blend rice or 3-4 cups cooked rice
- 6 cups chicken broth check for gluten-free
- 1 tbsp. tamari
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- couple sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. ground
- Saute vegetables. Heat oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven. Over medium-high heat, saute onions, carrots, and corn until onions are translucent.14 oz. bag frozen sliced carrots, 1/2 cup frozen diced onion, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 10 oz. bag frozen roasted corn
- Saute chicken sausage. Move veggies to one side of the pot and add chicken sausage slices. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.1 package al fresco Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage, sliced
- Add the soup ingredients. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add broth, tamari, and thyme. Bring to a simmer. Turn heat off, stir in milk and rice.3 cloves minced garlic, 6 cups chicken broth, 1 tbsp. tamari, 1/2 cup 2% milk, couple sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. ground, 2 (8.5) ounce bags precooked brown/wild rice blend rice
- Serve. To finish the soup, give it a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve hot with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream if desired.
Delicious Simple Family Recipes
Join Create Kids Club & get our 10 Favorite Crockpot Recipes ebook!