Chicken Sausage Soup is a quick and easy soup recipe that features time-saving ingredients including pre-cooked chicken sausage, frozen veggies, and pre-cooked rice to get a nourishing meal on the table when time is tight. Gluten-free.
I am always on the search for a quick and simple soup recipe. This Chicken and Sausage Soup is everything that I want and more!
This sausage soup recipe is going to be your go-to dinner the next time you are in a time crunch.
With the pre-cooked chicken sausage, frozen veggies, and pre-cooked rice, this recipe is on the table in under 20 minutes.
How to Make
- With medium heat, warm olive oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven.
- Over medium-high heat, saute onions, carrots, and corn until onions are translucent.
- Move veggies to one side of the pot and add chicken sausages. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add minced garlic cloves, cook 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, soy sauce, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat off, stir in milk and rice.
- To finish the soup, give it a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve hot with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream if desired.
Start by adding the frozen roasted corn, frozen sliced carrots, and frozen chopped onion into a large stockpot or dutch oven. Over medium heat, sauté the vegetables until translucent.
PRO TIP: Frozen veggies are washed, blanched, cut, frozen and packaged all within a few hours after harvest. This process allows veggies to retain their nutritional content and provide us with a great time-saving option for any meal.
If desired, you can swap the frozen vegetables with fresh vegetables. You could even make your own Roasted Corn !
Once cooked, move the veggies to one side of the pot and add the pre-cooked chicken sausage slices.
Don’t see a flavor you like? Check out the full list of chicken sausage products and flavors HERE.
After the pre-cooked chicken sausage is browned, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Next, add the broth, soy sauce, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.
PRO TIP: If using regular soy sauce rather than low sodium soy sauce, cut the amount in at least half and taste test until you reach the preferred saltiness.
Add the pre-cooked rice to the pot and stir. You can use white, brown, jasmine, wild or basmati rice – SO many great options.
Pre-cooked rice is the way to go if you are looking to have this recipe done and served in a timely manner.
If preferred, you can make homemade rice and stir it into the pot.
Slowly pour in the milk and stir until combined. The milk adds a nice creaminess to the sausage soup.
Allow your soup to simmer until you are ready to serve.
REMINDER: Once the soup is finished simmering, remove the fresh thyme.
Last but not least, add a squeeze of lemon juice. The lemon juice adds a nice pop of brightness as a finish to the soup.
Serve warm with a dollop of sour cream, parmesan cheese, or Greek yogurt on the top.
Chicken sausage is a time-saving ingredient to keep on hand. There are SO many delicious recipes that you can add chicken sausage links to make your dinner meals quicker and your family a bit happier.
More chicken sausage recipes
- Sausage Penne Pasta
- Chicken Sausage Vegetable Hash
- Chicken Sausage Ravioli
- Chicken Sausage & Apple Stuffed Squash
- Chicken Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Chicken Sausage Soup
- 14 ounce bag frozen sliced carrots
- 10 ounce bag frozen roasted corn
- 1/2 cup frozen diced onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 package al fresco Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 2 (8.5) ounce bags precooked rice blend ✅
- 6 cups chicken broth ✅
- 1 tbsp. tamari
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- couple sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. ground
- ⭐️Saute vegetables. Heat oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven. Over medium-high heat, saute onions, carrots, and corn until onions are translucent.14 ounce bag frozen sliced carrots, 1/2 cup frozen diced onion, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 10 ounce bag frozen roasted corn
- ⭐️Saute chicken sausage. Move veggies to one side of the pot and add chicken sausage slices. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.1 package al fresco Roasted Garlic Chicken Sausage, sliced
- ⭐️Add the soup ingredients. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add broth, tamari, and thyme. Bring to a simmer. Turn heat off, stir in milk and rice.3 cloves minced garlic, 6 cups chicken broth, 1 tbsp. tamari, 1/2 cup 2% milk, couple sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. ground, 2 (8.5) ounce bags precooked rice blend
- Serve. To finish the soup, give it a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve hot with a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream if desired.