A gluten-free Velveeta cheese sauce that’s simple to make. This nacho cheese sauce is made with just a few ingredients. Serve on broccoli, dipped with nacho chips or fresh veggies.
Kids love creating this cheese sauce recipe on their own, enjoying it as a snack, used in a meal, or sharing it with their friends. Encourage your kids to follow the step-by-step instructions to have this cheese sauce ready to serve in just 10 minutes!
Cheese sauce is great to keep stocked in the freezer as it freezes well and is super easy for kids to reheat quickly in the microwave. Check out Smoothie Freezer Packs, Freezer Muffins, and Freezer Pancakes for more kid-friendly freezer meals!
Not only is this a kid-approved recipe, it is also a favorite among adults. Keep this recipe in mind the next time you need a quick appetizer to serve at a potluck, birthday party, super bowl event or summer BBQ.
With minimal equipment and ingredients, this cheese sauce comes together so quick you won’t even believe it!
- medium-sized saucepan
- measuring cups and spoons
- 16 ounce Velveeta cheese
- 5 ounces diced tomatoes with chilies (about 1/2 of a can), drained
- 1/4 cup milk, plus more if needed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon hot Mexican chili powder
Pro Tip: Check the Mexican chili powder for gluten-free ingredients if needed.
How To Make
After you have gathered the equipment and ingredients, follow these step by step instructions. Printing the recipe card below is a kid-friendly way to help your kiddos follow the directions.
Combine the ingredients
In a medium-sized saucepan combine the Velveeta, diced tomatoes with chilies, tomatoes, milk, cumin, garlic powder, and hot Mexican chili powder.
Cook over medium heat
Heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring slowly as needed. Pour additional milk into the cheese mixture to thin to the desired consistency you prefer.
Serve as a nacho cheese sauce, drizzled over steamed broccoli or as a dipping sauce for fresh veggies like broccoli or cauliflower. You could also stir the sauce with cooked macaroni noodles for a delicious twist on mac n cheese!
Frequently Asked Questions
Reheat in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until warm. Encourage kids to ask for help or use hot pads to remove the bowl from the microwave.
This is a great recipe to heat and pack in a thermos to send to school in a lunchbox. Kids can pack their tortilla chips or veggies and enjoy nachos or cheesy vegetables during lunch.
This recipe will last up to 5 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer. If freezing, we recommend freezing individual portions in microwave and freezer safe bowls that can easily be reheated.
More Kid Friendly Recipes
- Rainbow Popsicles
- Caramelized Sweet Onion Dip
- Kid-Friendly Meatloaf
- Bread in a Bag
- Easy Vanilla Mug Cake
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets with Ground Turkey (Air Fryer)
- Easy Pretzel Bites for the Whole Family
- Orange Smoothie Recipe
- Gluten Free Charcuterie Board
- Gluten Free Cookie Cake
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Velveeta Cheese Sauce
- 16 ounce velveeta cheese ✅
- 5 ounces diced tomatoes with chilies (about 1/2 of a can), drianed ✅
- 1/4 cup milk, plus more if needed
- 2 teaspoons cumin ✅
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder ✅
- 1 teaspoon hot Mexican chili powder ✅
- Combine the ingredients. In a medium sized sauce pan combine the Velveeta, rotel tomatoes, milk, cumin, garlic powder, and hot Mexican chili powder.
- ⭐️ Cook over medium heat. Heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring as needed. Use additional milk to thin to the desired consistency you prefer.
- Serve hot. Serve with tortilla chips, steamed broccoli, or fresh veggies. Freezes well.
- Reheat in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds until warm. Encourage kids to ask for help or use hot pads to remove the bowl from the microwave.
- This recipe will last up to 5 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer. If freezing, we recommend freezing individual portions in microwave and freezer-safe bowls that can easily be reheated.