A classic dinner recipe with a twist. Pitas are layered with ground turkey, your favorite sloppy Joe sauce, then baked into a healthy sloppy Joe casserole sure to please the whole family.
I received free samples of Toufayan Pita mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest hosted by Toufayan. I was not compensated for my time.
March 18th is National Sloppy Joe Day – who knew?! This classic meal is one of America’s all-time favorite hot sandwiches. Sloppy Joes go by many names including: barbecues, dynamites, gulash, sloppy janes, slushburgers, steamers, wimpies and yum yums. What are they called where you live?
Sloppy Joes are traditionally made with ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, brown sugar, cola or maple syrup to sweeten plus seasonings, all served up on a hamburger bun or roll. In this post we are changing things up, making a weeknight casserole instead.
Healthy weeknight meals are always a challenge.
Finding recipes the whole family will eat and the time to prepare them is a lot of work!
Sloppy Joes are my son’s favorite meal. My daughter dislikes them, making it challenging on my part. I cook one meal only (check out why here) so sometimes she just has to suffer though a dinner of sloppy joes. Don’t worry, she gets back at her brother with her favorite, nachos. See my solution for this one by clicking here.
This healthy dinner meal comes together quickly.
Simply sauté onions and peppers and brown the ground turkey. Layer pitas, turkey meat, sloppy Joe sauce, repeat! This bakes up into a fun layered casserole that even had my non sloppy Joe eating daughter asking for seconds.
When this sloppy Joe meal came out of the oven it smelled wonderful and paired perfectly with steamed veggies and a glass of ice cold milk.
Guess what? My daughter asked for seconds.
Be sure to check out more DINNER RECIPES HERE!Print
A fun twist on classic sloppy joes. This casserole is layered and baked for a filling and delicious dinner meal the whole family will love.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- Olive Oil
- 16 oz. can sloppy Joe sauce
- 6 pitas (such as Toufayan Pita)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a 9 x 9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil into hot, medium sized sauté pan.
- Add onions and peppers, sautéing 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add ground turkey to sauté pan and cook until browned. Drain.
- Line pan with a layer of pitas, slicing in half if less thick casserole is desired.
- Layer with turkey meat.
- Pour sloppy Joe sauce on top.
- Layer with more pitas, the rest of the meat and sauce, using a spoon to push layers firmly together.
- Top with the remaining pitas, then bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Delicious Recipes Sent Weekly
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.