Healthy Vegetarian Lunch Idea: Red Lentil Veggie Bowl - the perfect vegetarian lunch recipe, quick, easy, full of veggies, and protein.
Not too much.
- Michael Pollan In Defense of Food
I love the simplicity of this quote. This philosophy is gaining more attention, such as with the Meatless Monday campaign that is so popular right now.
I have an awesome, plant-powered lunch recipe for you below that is super simple and delicious too.
There are many reasons to include plant proteins in your diet.
Plant-based proteins include fiber, antioxidants, and phytochemicals, unlike animal-based proteins. Multiple studies have shown that a diet high in plant-based foods is associated with a decreased risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, stroke, and obesity. A plant-based diet is cheaper and lower in saturated fat and cholesterol.
In 1/4 cup of dry red lentils, there are 130 calories and 10 grams of protein! Consider adding plant protein into your diet regularly.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups chopped veggies of choice
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Add red lentils, chicken broth, salt and pepper into medium sauce pan.
- Simmer on low until water is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop veggies of choice, such as zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, and Brussels sprouts.
- Dish lentils into serving bowls. Top with chopped veggies, red pepper flakes, minced garlic, and Parmesan cheese.
Delicious Recipes Sent Weekly
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.