Mug Pizza is delicious microwave meal for kids that’s made in 5 minutes and can be customized to your families liking. Pizza in a mug is an easy dinner idea for kids that’s fun to make!
Get ready for this pizza in a mug recipe! It is quick, easy & kid-friendly. I love microwave meals for kids because they can create their own dish with few ingredients in under 5 minutes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
My mug pizza combines cheese, crust, sauce & your favorite pizza toppings – what more could you ask for?! Personalize each pizza by setting a variety of toppings on the table and letting each person in your family create their own.
Lately, my family has been running in every direction. Between work, school and activities, I need a quick and easy dinner recipe that will feed the entire family. This recipe has definitely made it to the top of my easy dinner ideas list.
Do you have a list of easy dinner ideas? Highly recommend to have a few ideas for those nights when spending an hour in the kitchen to make dinner isn’t realistic. Here are a few of my favorites:
EASY DINNER IDEAS FOR KIDS
- Crockpot Chicken Thighs
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Crockpot Pasta
- Crunch Wrap Supreme
- Baked Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Shredded Tacos
Check out this step-by-step video to learn how to make a delicious pizza in a mug!
**This post has been updated to be gluten-free. The video does not reflect this change.
- gluten-free pizza dough or gluten-free English muffins or bagels
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese blend
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- Toppings of choice
HOW TO MAKE PIZZA IN A MUG
- Select a microwave safe wide bottomed coffee mug, ramekin, or small bowl and flip upside down on the corner of the pizza crust. Trace around the outside of the mug with a knife.
- Place the pizza crust into the bottom of the mug. Repeat tracing steps for the rest of the mugs. Roll pizza dough out if needed.
- Place pizza sauce on top of the dough or muffin. Sprinkle with cheese and toppings.
- Microwave for 1 minute if using dough, and 30- 40 seconds if using the other options.
I take advantage of any opportunity to get my kids in the kitchen to make their own meals. It is a great way to encourage them to try new ingredients and get creative!
Do your kids like to cook? Encourage them to pick a recipe and head to the kitchen! Here are a few of my kids’ favorites:
KIDS COOKING Recipes
- Microwave Mug Pizza
- Tuna Sushi Rolls
- Baked Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Chicken Tostada Recipe
- Easy Vanilla Mug Cake
To start, cut the pizza dough into circles to fit in the bottom of your mug or dish. I typically roll out my pizza dough on a flat surface, place the dish at the corner of the dough and trace around the dish with a knife. Then, I set the circle piece of dough in the bottom of the dish.
I use White Ramekins for this recipe because they are the perfect shape and size. Actually, I use them all the time for other recipes since they can go in the oven or microwave.
PRO TIP: Taller mugs do not work well for this recipe. If you are not using a shallow bowl like these ramekins, use a wide mug.
Once you add the crust to the bottom of the bowl, layer with sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Mini Pepperoni
- Bell peppers
Create a Homemade Pizza Seasoning to sprinkle on the top of your mug pizza recipe for a burst of flavor!
Microwave for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted and serve.
This is the perfect microwave mug meal for any occasion! Make this recipe the next time you need a meal for:
- Summer lunch
- After school snack
- Before a sports practice
- Dorm room meal
- Birthday party
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
- 1 package gluten-free pizza dough or gluten-free English muffins or bagels
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese blend ✅
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce ✅
- pepperoni, sausage, peppers, tomatoes, or toppings of choice ✅
- Prep the crust. Flatten the pizza crust. Select a microwave safe wide bottomed coffee mug, ramekin, or small bowl and flip upside down on the corner of the pizza crust. Trace around the outside of the mug with a knife.
- Make the pizza. Place the pizza crust or English muffin into the bottom of the mug. Place pizza sauce on top of raw dough. Sprinkle with cheese and toppings.
- Cook. Microwave for 1 minute.
If you enjoyed these recipes make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below!
Then follow us on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. We love seeing what you come up with!
My kids love making this! It’s so easy and fun too.
Erika Phillips says
I am thinking about teaching a group of developmentally disabled adults how to make this recipe. I dont know that many of them have ramekins or shallow mugs at home. What other options could you use when teaching at a day program and then they could possibly use at home. Could you use a small cereal bowl?
Jodi Danen, RDN says
Hi Erika! This is a great recipe to use, it’s really good and is easy to make. What I found with this method that small and open works better than something like a coffee mug (which didn’t work well). I think small cereal bowls should work just fine. You might want to test one out prior to see if the cooking time needs to be adjusted at all, but I wouldn’t expect that to be an issue at all. Have fun and enjoy!
Sheila Wallace says
How does the crust get crispy and not be doughy?
Jodi Danen, RDN says
Hi Sheila! I wouldn’t say the crust gets crispy, but it is not doughy at all. I hope you enjoy!