A flavorful dinner meal that comes together quickly with crispy tortilla chips, rotisserie chicken, and jarred salsa. Mexican Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole is layered then baked until crisp and golden. Change up taco night with this delicious dinner meal.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp hot Mexican style chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, cubed
- 15 oz. can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (or another white bean)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 oz. tortilla chips, slightly crushed
- 8 oz. bag shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 3-quart baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In large cast iron sauté pan, or stock pot, heat olive oil.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic.
- While onions are cooking, measure spices and flour. Once onions are ready, add spices and blend well.
- Slowly whisk chicken broth into onion mixture. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook about 2 minutes, or until mixture starts to thicken slightly.
- Stir in salsa.
- Add chicken, beans, and cilantro then remove from heat.
- In prepared pan, layer 1/3 crushed tortilla chips.
- Top with 1/2 chicken mixture.
- Spread more tortilla chips and 1/2 of shredded cheese on top of mixture.
- Top with remaining chicken mixture, tortillas, and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
- Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
- Calories: 557