Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole is a family favorite and uses up leftover tortilla chips. Made with rotisserie chicken, salsa, green chilies, and lots of cheese. Gluten-free.
Change up your taco night with this flavor-packed casserole. While I love tacos as much as the next person, I believe in changing things up so Mexican Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole was created! It was worth the effort.
Inspired by Spicy Chicken-Tortilla Chip Casserole we played around with it, omitting the cream helping cut fat and calories.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp hot Mexican style chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken cubed
- 15 oz. can Great Northern beans drained and rinsed (or another white bean)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 8 oz. tortilla chips slightly crushed
- 8 oz. bag shredded Mexican cheese blend
HOW TO MAKE
Start by preheating your oven and spraying the baking pan.
Add the garlic and spices.
Stir in the flour. The purpose of the flour is to help thicken the casserole. No one wants a runny casserole when it is served!
Slowly whisk the chicken broth into mixture. Bring it to a simmer. You could also use vegetable broth if you have a can in the pantry. No need to make an extra trip to the store.
Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture starts to thicken slightly. Continue to simmer while adding the other ingredients to thicken the mixture so don’t worry if your mixture is still runny after the 2-minute mark.
Stir in the salsa verde.
Next, add in the chicken. I am a big fan of rotisserie chicken recipes. I will buy a rotisserie chicken, shred the meat, and add to my recipe. It is quick & simple.
If you have an Instant Pot, learn How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot.
FUN FACT: Did you know Costco Rotisserie Chicken has its own Facebook page?
Add the beans into the pan. I use a can of Great Northern beans for this recipe or any other white bean that I have in the pantry.
Add the cilantro if desired.
PRO TIP: Did you know that cilantro tastes like soap or metal to some people? We recommend serving cilantro on the side or omitting if making this Mexican dish for a crowd.
Stir until well combined. Continue to let the chicken mixture simmer while you prepare your baking dish.
In the prepared pan, sprinkle about 1/3 of the crushed tortilla chips.
I don’t know about your house, but my pantry always seems to be filled with multiple open bags of corn chips with just a few chips left at the bottom of the bag. This is the perfect recipe to clean out your pantry & use up those crushed chips!
INGREDIENT SWAP: You can swap the tortilla chips for crushed Doritos.
Top the crushed chips with the cooked chicken mixture.
Then, sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the chicken mixture.
Add another layer of crushed chips and any remaining shredded cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
Garnish your chicken and chip casserole with your favorite toppings.
- Green onions
- Black olives
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Pico de gallo
Kids love that they get to have chips for dinner. Plus, parents can be happy their children are getting healthy sources of protein from both the chicken and beans. It is a win-win situation!
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES:
- Instant Pot Chicken & Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti
- Chicken Sausage Soup
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Wings
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
If you enjoyed this post or made any of the recipes, make sure to leave a comment below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub. I love seeing what you come up with!
Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin ✅
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano ✅
- 1/4 teaspoon hot Mexican style chili powder ✅
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth ✅
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde ✅
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, cubed or shredded ✅
- 15 ounces Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 ounces tortilla chips, crushed ✅
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend ✅
- Preheat the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 3-quart baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- ⭐️Saute onions and garlic. In large cast-iron sauté pan, or stockpot, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and spices.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 medium onion, chopped, 1 teaspoon garlic, minced, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon hot Mexican style chili powder
- ⭐️Make the roux. Stir in flour then slowly whisk the chicken broth into the mixture. Bring to a simmer. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture starts to thicken slightly. Stir in salsa, chicken, beans, and cilantro then remove from heat.2 tablespoon gluten-free flour, 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups salsa verde, 3 cups rotisserie chicken, cubed or shredded, 15 ounces Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed, 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Layer the casserole. In the prepared pan, sprinkle about 1/3 of the crushed tortilla chips. Top with chicken mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded cheese then top with remaining tortillas and cheese.8 ounces tortilla chips, crushed, 8 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ⭐️Bake. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
- Garnish. Garnish with avocados, green onions, jalapenos, tomatoes or cilantro if desired.