Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole is a family favorite and uses up leftover tortilla chips. Made with rotisserie chicken, salsa, green chilies, and lots of cheese.
Change up your taco night with this flavor-packed Mexican chicken casserole. While I love tacos as much as the next person, I believe in changing things up so Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole was created! It was worth the effort.
Inspired by Spicy Chicken-Tortilla Chip Casserole we played around with it, omitting the cream helping cut fat and calories.
Table of Contents
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp hot Mexican-style chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken cubed
- 15 oz. can Great Northern beans drained and rinsed (or another white bean)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 8 oz. tortilla chips slightly crushed
- 8 oz. bag shredded Mexican cheese blend
How To Make
Begin by preheating your oven and preparing the baking pan with a coating of non-stick cooking spray.
Next, in a generously sized cast-iron sauté pan or a stockpot, warm up the olive oil. Once the oil is heated, add the chopped onions and sauté them until they turn translucent.
Now, introduce the minced garlic and the array of aromatic spices.
Incorporate the flour into the mixture. The flour serves the important role of thickening the casserole, ensuring it has the desired consistency. A thick and hearty casserole is what we’re aiming for!
Gradually pour in the chicken broth while continuously whisking the mixture. Bring it to a simmer. If you have vegetable broth available in your pantry, it’s a fine alternative that saves you from making an extra trip to the store.
Cook for approximately 2 minutes, or until the mixture begins to gently thicken. Keep it simmering as you incorporate the remaining ingredients, so there’s no need for concern if the mixture remains somewhat liquid after the initial 2 minutes.
Blend in the salsa verde.
Afterward, introduce the chicken. I personally favor using rotisserie chicken in my recipes. I purchase a rotisserie chicken, shred the meat, and easily incorporate it into the dish. It’s a convenient and speedy option.
If you have an Instant Pot, learn How To Cook Frozen Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot.
Incorporate the beans into the pan. For this recipe, you can use a can of Great Northern beans or any other type of white beans you have in your pantry.
If you like, include the cilantro in the mixture.
Stir everything together until thoroughly combined. Allow the chicken mixture to continue simmering while you prepare your baking dish.
In your prepared pan, evenly distribute about one-third of the crushed tortilla chips.
Next, layer the cooked chicken mixture over the chips.
Follow this with a generous sprinkle of shredded cheese on top of the chicken mixture.
Add another layer of crushed chips and any remaining shredded cheese.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then, uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese develops a golden brown hue.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
Customize the Spice Level: Adjust the amount of hot Mexican-style chili powder to your preference. If you like it spicier, you can add a bit more, or reduce it for a milder dish.
Make-Ahead Option: You can prepare the chicken mixture ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to assemble and bake the casserole. This can be a time-saver for busy weeknights.
Layering Tortilla Chips: When layering the crushed tortilla chips, try to spread them evenly to create a nice, crunchy texture throughout the casserole. You can also reserve a handful of chips to sprinkle on top for extra crunch.
Cheese Variations: Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese or a combination of cheeses for a more diverse flavor. Monterey Jack or cheddar can work well alongside the Mexican cheese blend.
Garnish Creatively: The garnishes add freshness and color to the dish. Consider adding a dollop of sour cream, some sliced black olives, or even a squeeze of lime juice for an extra burst of flavor.
Serve with Sides: This casserole can be a complete meal on its own, but you can also serve it with side dishes like a simple green salad or Mexican rice to make it a larger meal for a crowd.
Chicken Casserole Topping Ideas:
Garnish your chicken and chip casserole with your favorite toppings.
- Green onions
- Black olives
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Pico de gallo
Absolutely! You can cook and shred chicken breasts or thighs to use in the casserole. Simply season and cook the chicken until fully cooked, then shred it before adding it to the casserole.
Yes, you can use other white beans like cannellini beans or navy beans if you prefer or if that’s what you have on hand.
Yes, you can make a vegetarian version by omitting the chicken and using vegetable broth. For a vegan version, use plant-based cheese and ensure all ingredients are vegan-friendly.
Allow the casserole to cool to room temperature before refrigerating. Transfer any remaining portions into an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Store it in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you have larger quantities or won’t consume it within that timeframe, consider freezing the leftovers.
To freeze, use freezer-safe containers or resealable freezer bags, and be sure to label and date them. Frozen casseroles can be enjoyed for up to 2-3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the oven until heated through.
More Chicken Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken & Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti
- Chicken Sausage Soup
- Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Wings
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin ✅
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano ✅
- 1/4 teaspoon hot Mexican style chili powder ✅
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth ✅
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde ✅
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, cubed or shredded ✅
- 15 ounces Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 ounces tortilla chips, crushed ✅
- 8 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend ✅
- Preheat the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 3-quart baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- ⭐️Saute onions and garlic. In large cast-iron sauté pan, or stockpot, heat olive oil. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and spices.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 medium onion, chopped, 1 teaspoon garlic, minced, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon hot Mexican style chili powder
- ⭐️Make the roux. Stir in flour then slowly whisk the chicken broth into the mixture. Bring to a simmer. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture starts to thicken slightly. Stir in salsa, chicken, beans, and cilantro then remove from heat.2 tablespoon gluten-free flour, 2 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups salsa verde, 3 cups rotisserie chicken, cubed or shredded, 15 ounces Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed, 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Layer the casserole. In the prepared pan, sprinkle about 1/3 of the crushed tortilla chips. Top with chicken mixture, sprinkle with 1/2 of the shredded cheese then top with remaining tortillas and cheese.8 ounces tortilla chips, crushed, 8 ounces shredded Mexican cheese blend
- ⭐️Bake. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
- Garnish. Garnish with avocados, green onions, jalapenos, tomatoes or cilantro if desired.