A flavorful dinner meal that comes together quickly with crispy tortilla chips, rotisserie chicken, and jarred salsa. Mexican Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole is layered then baked until crisp and golden brown. Change up taco night with this delicious dinner meal.
Americans love Mexican food. According to ABC News, 1 out of every 10 restaurants in the US sells Mexican food. There are more Mexican restaurants than Italian bistros, Chinese kitchens, chicken rotisseries, or seafood shacks in the US.
We learned in this post that Americans eat 4.5 BILLION tacos per year. Mexican flavors are obviously very popular, they sure are a staple in my home.
While I love tacos as much as the next person, I believe in changing things up. Enter Mexican Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole.
I was inspired while paging through the latest copy of Food Network Magazine. It was the Tex-Mex Issue and I was in heaven paging through all those delicious recipes. On page 122 there is a recipe for Spicy Chicken-Tortilla Chip Casserole that looks just amazing. Unfortunately, the recipe calls for a full cup of heavy cream. This recipe looked so intriguing, I decided to play around with it, omitting the cream.
It was worth the effort.
Delicious Recipes Sent Weekly
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
This recipe comes together quickly. I recently started keeping the pre-packaged Costco rotisserie chicken in my freezer for recipes that call for cooked chicken – it has been a time saver.
Did you know Costco Rotisserie Chicken has it’s own Facebook page? Crazy!
Preparing this recipe is simple. Start by measuring out your spices.
Next, sautée the onion and garlic, adding the spices once the onion is translucent. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in salsa and remove from heat.
Stir in chicken, beans, and cilantro.
Now the fun part – layering it all together.
Start by placing 1/3 of the tortilla chips on the bottom of your prepared pan.
Add 1/2 of the chicken mixture on top.
Top with more chips, then cheese, and repeat the layers.
Cover with foil and bake 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Kids love that they get to have chips for dinner, parents can be happy their children are getting healthy sources of protein from both chicken and beans.
Would your family enjoy this twist on Taco night?!
A flavorful dinner meal that comes together quickly with crispy tortilla chips, rotisserie chicken, and jarred salsa. Mexican Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole is layered then baked until crisp and golden. Change up taco night with this delicious dinner meal.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp hot Mexican style chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken, cubed
- 15 oz. can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed (or another white bean)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 8 oz. tortilla chips, slightly crushed
- 8 oz. bag shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 3-quart baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In large cast iron sauté pan, or stock pot, heat olive oil.
- Add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic.
- While onions are cooking, measure spices and flour. Once onions are ready, add spices and blend well.
- Slowly whisk chicken broth into onion mixture. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook about 2 minutes, or until mixture starts to thicken slightly.
- Stir in salsa.
- Add chicken, beans, and cilantro then remove from heat.
- In prepared pan, layer 1/3 crushed tortilla chips.
- Top with 1/2 chicken mixture.
- Spread more tortilla chips and 1/2 of shredded cheese on top of mixture.
- Top with remaining chicken mixture, tortillas, and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown.
- Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
- Calories: 557
Crock Pot Refried Beans would make a great side dish for this meal!
Check out more dinner ideas here, or find some favorites below!