Blue Cheese Mac And Cheese with bacon recipe around. Gluten-free pasta is blended with a homemade cheese sauce and then mixed with tomatoes, bacon, and blue cheese.
It sounds decadent, but with a few simple swaps, we keep calories and fat in line while adding a pop of color and nutrition boost with the addition of tomatoes.
Not a blue cheese fan? No worries! The sharp flavor blends seamlessly into this homemade mac and cheese recipe and is not overpowering. It adds just the right amount of sharp flavor that compliments the dish. It works great served warm as a main dish, side dish, or served as a cold pasta salad too. Try this recipe the next time you’re entertaining!
How To Make
- Cook elbow macaroni per box instructions, drain
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter
- Whisk flour into butter, adding a little at a time
- Slowly pour milk into flour mixture, small amounts at a time, whisking until thickened before adding more.
- Add spices, then whisk in Italian cheese.
- Stir in bacon, then elbow macaroni. Blend well.
- Gently fold in canned tomatoes and blue cheese crumbles.
This mac and cheese packs a ton of flavor with just 11 ingredients.
Start by melting butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour slowly. The mixture will be very thick before moving onto the next step.
Dietitian Tip: A traditional roux would use equal parts fat and flour, but this recipe uses less butter to cut down on fat. Use whole wheat flour for a nutrition boost.
Next, slowly whisk milk into the flour mixture until it starts to thicken, then add more milk. Repeat until all the milk is used. This step can take up to 15 minutes. Don’t add the milk to quickly or the mixture won’t thicken correctly.
Add the spices and shredded Italian blend cheese to the milk and flour mixture. Blend well.
Add those delicious bacon bits.
Then the cooked elbow mac.
Kitchen Tip: Add less pasta if you want an even cheesier mac and cheese.
On to the final touches! Add the canned tomatoes and blue cheese. The blue cheese will slightly melt as it’s stirred in.
Kitchen Tip: If you aren’t a blue cheese fan, add it in the step with the shredded Italian blend cheese so it completely melts.
Serve topped with more bacon bits, shredded cheese, and blue cheese.
- Swap out the cheese for your two favorites! Try sharp cheddar and gouda, or mozzarella and cheddar.
- Looking for a vegetarian version? Swap out the bacon for a meatless “bacon” option or skip it altogether.
- Add fresh herbs like basil or chives
More Pasta Recipes:
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese with Bacon
- 8 ounces gluten free elbow macaroni, cooked per box instructions
- 3 cups 1% milk
- 15 ounces can diced tomatoes, drained ✅
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese ✅
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled ✅
- 1/4 cup bacon bits ✅
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry ground mustard ✅
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ⭐️Make the roux. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk flour into butter, adding a little at a time. Slowly pour milk into flour mixture, small amounts at a time, whisking until thickened before adding more.
- ⭐️Add the seasonings and cheese. Add spices, then whisk in Italian cheese. Stir in bacon, then elbow macaroni. Blend well. Gently fold in canned tomatoes and blue cheese crumbles.
- Serve. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to a week.
If you enjoyed these recipes make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below!
Then follow us on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. We love seeing what you come up with!
Best Mac and cheese recipe ever!! We loved it!