Hot chocolate bombs are a homemade Hot Chocolate mix recipe rolled into a ball. They make hot chocolate that’s super creamy, extra chocolaty, with simple ingredients. The perfect recipe for kids to make this winter. Gluten-Free.
Winter in Wisconsin is cold. We get lots of snow along with many days that reach negative numbers. If you live somewhere with winters you know there isn’t much better than coming in from the cold and making a steaming hot glass of hot chocolate. These simple hot chocolate balls are made in advance, individually wrapped in wax paper, then frozen.
These little nuggets of deliciousness do need to be made in advance, but don’t worry – they are super easy and are made in the microwave then freezer.
This simple hot chocolate mix recipe is easy to make and has just 4 simple ingredients.
It’s a great frozen hot chocolate recipe for kids to make in advance. These hot cocoa bombs are kept in the freezer -simply take one at a time to make hot chocolate for one in just 1 – 2 minutes in the microwave.
Related: Pink Hot Chocolate
While I love keeping these on hand, if you’re looking for a hot chocolate powdered mix, try Alton Brown’s recipe. If you’re in the market for hot cocoa for a crowd this is my favorite.
These DIY Hot Chocolate bombs are is super customizable.
- Use your favorite flavored extract for a variety of flavors
- Swap white chocolate for dark, or use milk chocolate
- Wrap the hot chocolate bombs in wax paper or gift wrap for teacher gifts
How To Make
- In a medium-sized microwaveable bowl, add all of the ingredients then stir.
- Heat in 30-second increments until the chocolate is melted. Take care to not overcook.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Prepare a baking sheet with wax paper or a silicone baking mat.
- With a small scoop or spoon, scoop the chocolate mixture on to the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the freezer for 30 minutes or until the balls are cool enough to roll in your hands.
- Roll each scoop of chocolate into a ball. Place into a Ziploc bag or storage container with a lid and freeze until you’re ready to use it.
- To serve, place 1 hot chocolate bomb into a microwave-safe mug with 1 cup of milk.
- Heat for 1 -2 minutes then stir and serve.
Let’s Take a closer look:
This recipe has just 4 ingredients so it’s really basic, but it tastes amazing.
Start by getting out a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl.
Pour a 12-ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips int the bowl. You could use milk chocolate for a sweeter version or use white chocolate chips or even try butterscotch chips.
Then pour in the heavy whipping cream.
The next step is where you can get creative. I absolutely love the flavor of almond so that’s what I went with. You could use vanilla, peppermint, or even a maple extract would be delicious.
Kitchen Tip: Make sure to use a high-quality pure extract. They do cost more, but the flavor difference is worth the money.
Now it’s time to add the sugar.
I used 1 tablespoon which added just the right amount of sweetness for my family. You could use milk chocolate and skip the sugar, or add more sugar if you prefer a really sweet hot chocolate mix.
Give the mix a quick stir, then place it into the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, then heat for another 30 seconds.
Repeat until the chocolate is melted. It took about 2 minutes in my microwave, but this will vary depending on your microwave.
Kitchen Tip: Make sure not to overheat the chocolate, it gets hard and burnt if you overcook it.
Cover the melted chocolate mixture with plastic wrap or a cover and place it into the refrigerator long enough that the chocolate mixture gets firm enough to scoop.
Kitchen Tip: If you don’t own a cookie scoop it’s a must-have item. They work great for cookies, but also muffins, hot chocolate bombs and much more! Grab your own cookie scoop here.
After scooping the balls onto the baking sheet, place into the freezer for about 30 minutes or until the chocolate is firm enough to roll without sticking to your hands. Roll the balls into smooth circles and dust with powdered sugar or cocoa powder.
The Hot Chocolate Bombs are now ready to be used or stored.
Place them into a freezer ziplock bag, stack them into a container with lid, or get out the wax paper and cut long rectangles pieces and individually roll the balls into paper. This makes for easy grab-and-go hot chocolate bombs!
Store homemade hot chocolate bombs in the freezer. The chocolate stays nice and firm and keeps for months to come.
When you’re ready to make the best hot chocolate ever, grab a hot chocolate bomb and place it into a microwaveable mug filled with warmed milk or hot water. It’s easier to stir the chocolate into the warmed liquid if you let the frozen bomb sit out for 5-10 minutes before using.
If you don’t want to preheat the milk, you can place the chocolate bomb into the glass, then pour in 1 cup of milk and microwave for 1 -2 minutes (depending on your microwave).
Kitchen Tip: Keep an eye on the mug in the microwave and don’t overheat the milk or you’ll end up with a mess in the microwave (like I have done a time or two…).
After carefully taking the mug out of the microwave (make sure to help little kids with this step), stir the homemade hot chocolate mix together and enjoy!
Another note to mention… they are delicious to eat all by themselves!
More Hot Drink Recipes:
Holiday Recipes You might Enjoy
- Turtle Candy
- Christmas Pretzels
- Easy Christmas Cookies for Kids
- Christmas Wreath Bundt Cake
- Christmas Story Fudge
If you enjoyed the recipe make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!
Hot Chocolate Bombs
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips check for gluten free
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. almond extract check for gluten free
- Powdered sugar optional
- ⭐️Melt the chocolate. In a medium-sized microwaveable bowl, add all of the ingredients then stir. Heat in 30-second increments until the chocolate is melted. Do not overcook. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips, 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream, 1 tbsp. granulated sugar, 1/2 – 1 tsp. almond extract
- Scoop the chocolate into balls. Prepare a baking sheet with wax paper or a silicone baking mat. With a small scoop or spoon, scoop the chocolate mixture on to the baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the freezer for 30 minutes or until the balls are cool enough to roll in your hands.
- Roll into balls. Roll each scoop of chocolate into a ball. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Wrap individually in wax paper or place into a Ziploc bag or storage container with a lid and freeze until you're ready to use.Powdered sugar
- ⭐️Serve. To serve, place 1 hot chocolate bomb into a microwave safe mug with 1 cup of milk or water. Heat for 1 -2 minutes then stir and serve.