Sweet potato egg cups are an easy, fun breakfast idea perfect for kids. These kid-friendly egg frittatas are packed with sweet potatoes, spinach, and cheese – the perfect combo!
If you’re looking for a simple yet tasty breakfast that’s packed with veggies, you’ve gotta try these sweet potato egg cups.
The dietitian in me loves that sweet potatoes are high in vitamins C and B6 (pyridoxine), minerals potassium, calcium, magnesium, and manganese. They are a great source of fiber and beta-carotene, which give the potato its bright orange color.
Sweet potatoes also have anti-inflammatory properties potentially decreasing the risk of chronic disease.
Watch as I make these egg cups on Good Day Wisconsin:
Here’s how to Make Egg Cups:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Prepare muffin pan with muffin liners or use non-stick spray
- Divide shredded sweet potato evenly between 12 muffin cups
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven
- While baking, whisk eggs, milk, and spices
- To baked sweet potatoes, evenly divide spinach and cheese into the muffin tin
- Pour egg mixture on top of baked sweet potatoes, spinach, and cheese
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set
Kitchen Tip: Baked egg cups are easily reheated from both the refrigerator and freezer.
Fritatta Recipe For Kids
You can easily change these egg cups into a delicious frittata recipe for kids by baking the egg mixture in a pie pan or baking pan rather than a muffin tin.
Bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes or until the eggs are set.
If you enjoyed the recipe make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!
Sweet Potato Egg Cups
- muffin tin
- mixing bowl with spout
- measuring cups and spoons
- non-stick cooking spray (check for gluten-free)
- 1 small sweet potato shredded or spiralized
- 10 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded and divided (check for gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven and prep pan. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Divide sweet potatoes and bake. Divide shredded sweet potato evenly between 12 muffin cups. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven.1 small sweet potato
- Add spinach and cheese. Top the baked sweet potatoes with spinach and cheese, but dividing them equally on top of the potatoes.3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup spinach
- Combine eggs and spices. In a mixing bowl with a spout, whisk eggs, milk, and spices. Pour egg mixture on top of baked sweet potatoes, spinach, and cheese in the muffin tin. Bake 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set.10 large eggs, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 tsp. ground mustard, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Serve or freeze. Serve hot or cool then freeze for grab and go breakfasts.
Delicious Simple Family Recipes
Join Create Kids Club & get our 10 Favorite Crockpot Recipes ebook!