A broccoli salad made without mayo cutting fat and calories. Greek yogurt, sour cream, a touch of sugar, and red wine vinegar add a delicious zing to this vegetable side dish perfect for any gathering.
From potlucks to luncheons, this cold broccoli salad has right amount of crunch and flavor to impress any crowd. The fresh ingredients tossed in a creamy dressing will have everyone raving over this recipe.
This broccoli salad recipe puts a unique twist on the classic version made with mayonnaise. Created with a Greek yogurt-based dressing, this broccoli slaw is lower in fat and calories.
It’s easy to make just hours before your event or a day in advance. As an added bonus, we share ingredient swaps to help you customize this summer salad to your liking or use up ingredients you already have at home.
Looking for other delicious summer salad recipes? Enjoy our Healthy Taco Salad, Canned Mexican Corn Salad, and Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries and Almonds.
Did we mention that this is a great recipe to get more veggies into your family and friends? You’ll be amazed at how quickly this salad disappears. Get started by gathering the equipment then salad and dressing ingredients.
Cutting board, chefs knife, large mixing bowl, small mixing bowl, whisk, measuring cups/spoons and stir spoon.
|6 cups broccoli florets, chopped||1 cup plain Greek yogurt|
|1/4 cup red onion, finely diced||1/4 cup sour cream|
|6 strips bacon, crumbled||2 tablespoons sugar|
|1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese||1 tablespoon red wine vinegar|
|1/3 cup dried cranberries||1/4 teaspoon salt|
How To Make
In just three simple steps this broccoli slaw is tossed together to be served or stored in the fridge for later. This is likely one of the quickest and easiest summer salads you will make this season.
Blend the dressing
Start by stirring together the salad dressing in a small mixing bowl. Whisk together the yogurt, sour cream, sugar, red wine vinegar, and salt.
Ingredient Swap: Use apple cider or white vinegar in place of the red wine vinegar.
Combine the salad ingredients
Set the salad dressing to the side while you assemble the salad. To a large bowl, add the chopped raw broccoli. Approximately 1 pound of broccoli is equal to 6 cups.
Tip: Double check the broccoli is completely dry before adding any other ingredients or dressing to prevent a soggy salad.
Next, add the diced onion, crumbed bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, and dried cranberries.
Ingredient Swap: Replace the dried cranberries with raisins, sliced grapes, sunflower seeds, dried cherries or apricots.
Combine the salad and dressing
Add the dressing to the salad and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve. If desired, sprinkle the cashews, slivered almonds or pecans on top right before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
This salad can be prepped up to 3 days in advance. For best results, we recommend making it 24 hours before you plan to serve then refrigerating. This keeps all the ingredients fresh while letting the broccoli marinate in the dressing.
The 2 tablespoons of sugar adds the sweetness to the dressing that pairs well with the tanginess of the Greek yogurt. You have the option to eliminate the sugar or reduce to 1 tablespoon if aiming for a lower sugar version.
Absolutely, crumbled feta or goat cheese are two other top cheeses that go well.
Whisk 1 to 2 tablespoons of sriracha or hot sauce into the dressing.
Picnic Side Dishes
Creamy broccoli salad makes a delicious dish to bring along on a picnic or BBQ in the summer months. Check out a few of our other favorite picnic side dishes that are crowd favorites!
- Fruit Salad with Cool Whip
- Brussels Sprout Apple Salad
- Watermelon Sticks
- Fruit Salsa
- Cucumber Avocado Salsa Recipe
If you enjoyed these recipes make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!
Easy Broccoli Salad (Without Mayo)
- cutting board
- chefs knife
- large mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- stir spoon
- 6 cups broccoli florets, broken into small pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 6 strips bacon, crumbled
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cashews, slivered almonds, or pecans optional
- Blend the dressing. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sour cream, sugar, red wine vinegar, and salt.
- Combine the salad ingredients. To a large bowl, add the broccoli, onion, bacon, cheddar cheese, and dried cranberries.
- Combine the salad and dressing. Add the dressing to the broccoli salad, mix well. Refrigerate until serving. Add nuts right before serving is desired.
How To StoreRefrigerate until ready to serve. Prep up to 3 days in advance.
- Apple cider or white vinegar in place of red wine vinegar.
- Raisins, sliced grapes, sunflower seeds, dried cherries or apricots in place of dried cranberries
- Eliminate the sugar or reduce to 1 tablespoon for a lower sugar version
- Feta or goat cheese in place of cheddar cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons of sriracha or hot sauce mixed into dressing for a spicy version
Delicious Simple Family Recipes
Join Create Kids Club & get our 10 Favorite Crockpot Recipes ebook!