These crock pot restaurant style refried beans turn a bag of inexpensive dried legumes into a flavorful dinner addition that saves money and freezes well. Serve as a dinner side or use in your favorite Mexican dishes.
- 2 lb bag dried pinto beans
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2– 4 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 10 cups water
- Rinse dry beans in a colander, picking out any bad beans.
- Add all ingredients to crockpot. Stir.
- Cook on high 4- 6 hours or until beans are easily mashed.
- Use an immersion blender to puree beans, or potato masher to mash until desired consistency is reached. Add extra water if needed for smoother consistency. Adjust salt to taste.