Crockpot Mulled Cider is a spiced cider recipe perfect for any seasonal gathering. The combination of mulling spices and apple cider makes a warm and delicious drink that kids love.
I hope you and your guests thoroughly enjoy this delightful apple cider recipe at your next event. With all the hustle and bustle around the holidays, it’s truly a blessing to have a simple yet wonderfully flavorful recipe like this one at your disposal. And, of course, don’t forget that you can easily turn this recipe into an alcoholic hot apple cider for those special occasions when you want to add a little extra warmth to your gathering.
Mulled cider is essentially apple cider infused with a medley of spices through the gentle process of heating.
Using a crockpot for this spiced cider recipe has its advantages. Not only does it take care of the mulling process, allowing the spices to meld with the cider, but it also serves as a reliable vessel to keep your cider warm throughout your event. What’s more, you can adapt the recipe to suit the size of your gathering, opting for a mini crockpot when it’s just your family or the grandeur of a large slow cooker when you’re making hot apple cider for a crowd. Cheers to warm, cozy moments and delicious cider shared with loved ones!
Table of Contents
HOW DO YOU SEASON MULLED APPLE CIDER?
Feel free to use your favorite blend or make your own mulling spice blend.
How to Make Mulled Cider Recipe
You can make crockpot mulled spiced cider in 3 easy steps.
- Add 1 quart of apple cider to your crockpot.
- Add 2-3 tbsp. of mulling spices into the crockpot.
- Turn on low for 2-4 hours.
Once you pour the apple cider into your crockpot, it is time to add the mulling spices.
I recommend wrapping the mulling spices in cheesecloth to avoid the spices floating around in your cup as you are trying to drink the cider, or having to strain the cider.
Once the spices are wrapped up, tie the cheesecloth as tight as possible and set into the crockpot filled with apple cider. Cook on low for 2-4 hours.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Quality Ingredients: Use high-quality apple cider for the best flavor. Look for fresh, unfiltered cider if available.
- Mulling Spices: While you can use pre-packaged mulling spice packets, you can also make your own by combining cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, allspice berries, and orange peel. Adjust the quantities to suit your taste preferences.
- Cheesecloth Bundle: When creating the cheesecloth bundle for the mulling spices, make sure to tie it securely with kitchen twine. This prevents the spices from escaping into the cider and makes for easy removal later.
- Heat Settings: Cooking times can vary depending on your crockpot, so check your cider after 2 hours. The goal is to infuse the flavors without overcooking the cider, which can make it too sweet. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Temperature Control: If your slow cooker has a “warm” setting, use it to keep the mulled cider at a pleasant drinking temperature without further cooking it.
- Alcoholic Version: If you want to make an alcoholic version, add the spirits of your choice just before serving. This way, you can customize the strength to suit your guests’ preferences. Common choices include brandy, whiskey, or apple schnapps. Start with a shot (1-1.5 oz) per cup of cider and adjust from there.
- Taste Testing: Taste your mulled cider as it cooks to ensure it reaches your desired level of spiciness. If it’s too mild, you can add more mulling spices or simmer it a bit longer. If it’s too strong, dilute it with additional unspiced apple cider.
Absolutely, I recommend buying cold fresh apple cider at the store then adding to the crockpot to heat. Typically, the apple cider will be available in a refrigerator at your local grocery store. However, make sure you are grabbing apple cider – not apple juice.
Yes, you can microwave apple cider. I recommend making this recipe for mulled cider first and storing it in the fridge to reheat in the microwave if there is some leftover. The flavor comes from the process of heating over time which is hard to replicate in a short time.
Absolutely! You can adjust the spices to suit your taste. Some people like more cinnamon, while others prefer a touch of nutmeg or cardamom. Experiment with different spice combinations to find your favorite.
HOW DO YOU SERVE APPLE CIDER?
I typically serve my apple cider in mugs. I will set out whole cranberries and orange slices for my family and friends to add once they pour the cider into their mug for a burst of color and flavor. I have also sliced red apples, green apples and pears in the past as options.
If I am serving a spiked cider, I will lay out cinnamon sticks. Guests can use the sticks to stir the drink while adding flavor. Plus, guests will love the smell of cinnamon as they enjoy the warm glass of cider.
After preparing the mulled cider and allowing it to cool to room temperature, remove any mulling spices or garnishes from the liquid. Transfer the cider to an airtight container, such as a pitcher or glass bottle with a tight-sealing lid. Seal the container well to prevent any odors from affecting the cider’s taste. Store the container in the refrigerator, where it can be safely kept for up to 5-7 days. When ready to enjoy it again, simply reheat the mulled cider gently in a saucepan or microwave, or serve it cold over ice, depending on your preference.
More Drink Recipes
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Crockpot Mulled Cider Recipe
- 1- quart high-quality apple cider
- 2- 3 tablespoons mulling spices ✅
- Optional: sliced oranges, cranberries
- Place the ingredients into the crockpot. Pour apple cider into your slow cooker. Place spice packet into cider.
- Cut a peice of cheesecloth (about a 4×4 inch square). Place mulling spices onto cheesecloth and tie with kitchen twine.
- ⭐️ Cook. Cook on low for 2-4 hours. Remove spices and turn to warm to keep the cider warm.
- Granish with orange slices and cranberries if desired.
- For an alcholic version, add a shot of brandy, whiskey, or apple schnapps