Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a one-pot meal packed full of nutrition from beans, quinoa, and lots of veggies. A great use for leftover or rotisserie chicken.
A while back, I talked about my struggles with the ancient grain quinoa.
Why care about quinoa? Quinoa is a seed (not a grain as one might think) that has been around forever but has more recently become quite popular.
It is a staple to keep on your shelves for many reasons, including its status as a complete protein, high phytonutrient and antioxidant content along with the fact that it is more filling than rice and cooks quicker too. 1/2 cup of quinoa provides 111 calories, 4 g protein, 2.5 grams fiber, while 1/2 cup brown rice has 102 calories, 2 g protein, and 1.5 g fiber.
It’s time for March’s Recipe Redux, here’s the theme:
Spring Clean the Kitchen
Cook with at least 3 ingredients that are actually in your refrigerator or pantry right now. Try not to go to the store to buy anything new. Give tips on how to make a healthy dish out of whatever you have on-hand.
I admit, this is my kind of cooking – I enjoy taking foods on hand and turning them into a meal.
I opened my fridge to find Costco rotisserie chicken, spinach past its prime, and not a whole lot else. My pantry saved me, I had lots of options.
I wrote a couple weeks ago on tips to keeping a well-stocked pantry (Read It HERE and get the Free Printables!), which certainly helps to get dinner on the table.
I also had pitas laying around following the Toufayan Pita challenge. I figured they could make a healthier tortilla topping for my Chicken Tortilla Soup.
This Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe takes about 5 minutes to get going in the slow cooker. Let it cook while you’re gone, and come home to a hot and hearty dinner meal filled with all the healthy good stuff you want your family eating.
Need dinner now? This recipe can easily be simmered on the stove top and be ready to eat in just 30 minutes!
If you choose this route, simply sauté the onions first, or skip them altogether.Print
Slow Cooker Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is a one-pot meal packed full of nutrition from beans, quinoa, and lots of veggies. A great use for leftover or rotisserie chicken.
- 2 cups rotisserie (or leftover) chicken
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup spinach
- 15.5 oz. can great northern beans, not drained (such as S&W)
- 15.25 oz. can corn nuggets, drained
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 4.5 oz. can diced green chilies
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 2 pitas, sliced lenthwise
- To slow cooker add chicken, quinoa, spinach, onion, great northern beans, corn nuggets, diced tomatoes, spices, and chicken stock.
- Cook on high for 2-4 hours or low 4-6 hours.
To Make Pita “Tortilla” Strips:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place strips of pitas on baking sheet.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes, or until pitas are crispy.
Stove Top Directions:
- Sauté the onions in a bit of olive oil in large pot until translucent
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except pitas).
- Simmer for 15-2o minutes, or until quinoa is tender.
Topping suggestions include pita strips, diced avocados, green onion, cilantro, and shredded cheese.