Our cast iron breakfast skillet is a delicious camping meal. Made with dry hashbrowns, sausage links, and eggs it comes together quickly and can be made on the camp stove or campfire. Gluten-free.
- 1 4.2 oz. box dry hashbrowns
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper (chop and freeze before heading to the campground)
- 1/2 cup diced onion (chop and freeze before heading to the campground)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 6 eggs
- 6 pre-cooked turkey sausage links, broken into pieces
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
How To Make
- Add water to hashbrowns per box instructions.
- Heat oil in a skillet over a camp stove.
- Add onions, green peppers, and sausage. Saute until veggies are translucent.
- Add hydrated hashbrowns and let cook for 5 minutes, flipping occasionally.
- Clear a space in the middle of the hashbrowns and add eggs.
- Gently stir until eggs are cooked through.
- Top with cheese. Turn heat off and cover.
- Serve once the cheese has melted.
Start by heating the oil in a cast-iron skillet. Add peppers, onions, and turkey sausage chunks. Cook until the peppers and onions are soft.
Once the hashbrowns have soaked up the water and are rehydrated, add them into the hot skillet. If you’d like them golden brown, add more oil to help the hashbrowns get crispier and golden brown. Cook for about 5 minutes, flipping the hashbrowns several times.
Next, add the eggs. Using a spatula, gently stir the eggs into the hashbrown mixture and cook through – about 2-3 minutes.
Once the eggs are cooked through go ahead and add the shredded cheese. Turn the heat off and cover the skillet with a lid or foil. This melts the cheese without overcooking the eggs.
Serve as soon as the cheese is melted!
- canned mushrooms
- green onions
- sausage crumbles
How To Make om the campfire
Follow the same instructions as above, but place the skillet over the fire. Use long utensils and fire-safe hot pads.
More camping recipes:
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Cast Iron Breakfast Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper, chop and freeze before heading to the campground
- 1/2 cup diced onion, chop and freeze before heading to the campground
- 6 pre-cooked turkey sausage links, sliced ✅
- 4.2 ounce box dry hashbrowns, rehydrated ✅
- 6 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese ✅
- ⭐️Saute the vegetables and sausage. Heat oil in a skillet over a camp stove. Add onions, green peppers, and sausage. Saute until veggies are translucent.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 cup diced green pepper, chop and freeze before heading to the campground, 1/2 cup diced onion, chop and freeze before heading to the campground, 6 pre-cooked turkey sausage links, sliced
- ⭐️Add the hashbrowns. Add hydrated hashbrowns, season with salt and pepper, and let cook for 5 minutes, flipping occasionally. Clear a space in the middle of the hashbrowns and add eggs. Gently stir until eggs are cooked through.4.2 ounce box dry hashbrowns, rehydrated, 6 large eggs
- ⭐️Add the cheese. Top with cheese. Turn heat off and cover. Serve once the cheese has melted.1 cup shredded cheese
If you enjoyed these recipes make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below!
Then follow us on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. We love seeing what you come up with!
Made it at home, but still delicious!