Chicken a la King is a simple and delicious comfort food recipe with fresh mushrooms, sweet peas, and chicken in a creamy sauce served over buttermilk biscuits, rice, or pasta. A must try easy chicken a la king casserole for dinner this week.
My Chicken a la King recipe is SO flavorful and easy that I can’t believe I haven’t shared it sooner. You will definitely want to add this recipe to the menu this week. This recipe combines chicken, a creamy sauce and vegetables to create a comfort dish that is perfect for lunch or dinner.
Check out this video for step-by-step instructions on making this easy chicken ala king recipe!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN A LA KING Casserole
Start by heating oil in a pan & sautéing the diced onion. When the onion is translucent, add the mushrooms and stir.
I almost always buy sliced fresh mushrooms for this recipe because it saves me a step & I can get dinner on the table quicker.
PRO TIP: If your family are not huge fans of mushrooms, I recommend chopping the mushrooms to be the same size as the onions. This is a great way to add any vegetable to a recipe – the smaller the piece, the less likely children will pick it out.
Next, add the flour and butter to the pot and whisk into the mushrooms & onions. Mixing flour and butter together will create a roux, which will thicken the sauce.
Then, add the chicken broth and continue to whisk.
Slowly add the milk into the mixture. Typically, I add about half the milk, stir and then add the rest of the milk. Make sure to bring the sauce back up to a simmer before adding more liquid each time. This helps with the thickening process.
You will want to keep cooking the sauce until it reaches your desired thickness.
On the nights I feel like being patient, I will let this sauce simmer until it is pretty thick because I personally like it better. However, there have definitely been those nights that I simmer for a few minutes & consider it done!
Add in the chicken, peas & pimentos. If you don’t have a can of pimentos or do not care for the flavor swap with chopped red bell pepper.
WHAT KIND OF CHICKEN DO YOU USE?
Usually, I add rotisserie chicken to my creamy sauce. But, there are many different options depending on your preference.
- Canned chicken – drain 1-2 cans of chicken and add to the pot.
- Boiled chicken – add 2-3 chicken breasts to a pot of boiling water and cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, shred & add to the pot.
- Baked chicken – place 3-4 chicken thighs on a baking dish and put in a preheated (375 degrees Fahrenheit) oven and cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Chop cooked chicken into chunks or strips and add to the pot. Or use last nights leftovers!
- Frozen cooked chicken – buy cooked chicken strips in the frozen aisle at the grocery store and add to the pot (you will need to let the sauce simmer until the chicken is hot)
INGREDIENT SWAP: Swap the chicken in this recipe for tuna to make a delicious Tuna A La King.
I like to let the chicken, peas & pimentos simmer in my sauce for 5-10 minutes because the flavor is 100% better.
I like serving this healthy dinner idea on biscuits rather than with pasta because I feel like we already eat a lot of pasta and it’s a refreshing change. And the fact that my kids LOVE the flakiness of the biscuits combined with the creamy sauce.
Check out these Perfect Homemade Biscuits if you are looking for a from scratch recipe. For ease, I generally use the tube kind that you simply have to place on a pan and bake.
Pasta, rice, and puff pastry are other great options to use instead of biscuits.
Pour your tasty sauce over the biscuits (or pasta, rice, puff pastry) & enjoy!
WHAT IF I HAVE LEFTOVERS?
I feel like even when I plan for leftovers, the family has another plan in mind. I can’t be too upset though because I guess that means they loved the recipe.
If you do end up with leftovers, this recipe is great to store in the refrigerator & reheat for lunch or dinner the next day.
Kitchen Tip: Store your sauce separate from your biscuits/rice/pasta/puff pastry and mixing together once the sauce is reheated.
If you enjoyed this recipe, make sure to leave a comment and a star rating below! Then follow me on social media and tag #createkidsclub if you make the recipe. I love seeing what you come up with!Print
Chicken a la King is a simple and delicious comfort food recipe with fresh mushrooms, sweet peas, and chicken in a creamy sauce served over buttermilk biscuits, rice, or pasta. A must try easy chicken a la king recipe for dinner this week.
- 2 cups cubed or shredded chicken
- 15 oz. can sweet peas, drained
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 2 oz. jar pimentos, drained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Serve with biscuits, noodles, or rice
- In a large skillet or saucepan, saute olive oil, onions, and mushrooms until onions are translucent.
- Add butter. Once the butter is melted, whisk in flour and let cook 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth, allowing it to return to a simmer before adding more liquid.
- Slowly whisk in milk, allowing it to return to a simmer before adding more liquid.
- Stir in chicken, peas, and pimentos.
- Serve over biscuits, rice, or pasta.