Camping tacos are simple to make and easier to clean up! Made as a taco in a bag recipe or as a taco salad, it’s a great camping recipe for large groups. Gluten-free.
The best part is that everyone can customize to their liking, and these toppings make for an amazing taco salad for those wanting to skip the chips.
I find the easiest way to make walking tacos is to prepare the taco meat at home, then freeze it.
Freezing it helps keep your cooler cold and will defrost by the time you are ready to use it.
If you are traveling by RV, keep it frozen and defrost in your microwave (saving space in the fridge) or place it in the refrigerator the day before to thaw.
If you’re camping with a large group, have each family bring a pound of taco meat. It can be ground beef, shredded chicken, pulled pork, or carnitas meat – anything goes and adds a variety to the flavor combinations available to choose from!
Assign families to different toppings so that everyone brings something different rather than a bunch of repeats.
- 1 lb. taco seasoned ground beef or turkey
- small individual bags of Fritos
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Black Olives
- Nacho Sauce
- Taco sauce
- Chopped Romaine for taco salad or a prepackaged Ceasar salad mix
How To Make
- Heat taco meat and spread toppings out on the picnic table.
- Place taco meat directly into individual Frito or Dorito bags then add toppings of choice.
- Eat with a fork straight from the bag!
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
- 1 pound taco seasoned ground beef or turkey ✅
- 6 small individual bags of Fritos
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese ✅
- 1/2 cup salsa ✅
- 1 tomato, diced
- sour cream, optional ✅
- ⭐️Reheat the taco meat. Heat taco meat and spread topping out on the picnic table.1 pound taco seasoned ground beef or turkey
- Assemble the tacos. Place taco meat directly into individual Frito then add toppings of choice.6 small individual bags of Fritos, 1 cup shredded lettuce, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, 1/2 cup salsa, 1 tomato, diced, sour cream, optional
- Serve. Eat with a fork straight from the bag!