This Creamy Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta will become a family favorite dinner. Butternut squash blends seamlessly into this cheesy Mac & Cheese recipe for a delicious spin on the classic dish.
- 2 cups dry elbow pasta (8 oz), cooked per box instructions
- 1 lb. seasoned pork sausage, or ground beef
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 8 oz. shredded sharp cheese, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup butternut squash, cooked
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- Preheat broiler.
- Brown pork sausage in a large oven safe sauté pan, drain and return meat to pan.
- Stir flour, cumin, chili powder, and salt into cooked pork sausage.
- Over medium-high heat, slowly add milk, stirring well.
- Add 4 ounces of cheese, stirring until melted.
- Turn heat off. Whisk in eggs.
- Turn heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, stirring constantly about 2 minutes.
- Add drained tomatoes, sour cream, and squash.
- Add cooked pasta, mix well. Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
Optional Garnish: Cilantro, chives, sour cream, or fresh tomatoes.