Put these simple boil in the bag omelets on your camping food checklist! These omelets make for quick camping meals. They are boil in the bag meals that utilize freezer bag cooking. All in just 15 minutes.
- 12 eggs (see note for camping tips)
- 1/2 cup chopped ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pepper, diced
- 4 quart sized Freezer Ziplock Bags
- In a large pot or dutch oven, bring water to a boil
- Evenly distribute the whisked eggs between the ziplock bags
- Add mix-ins of choice such as ham and cheese or veggies and cheese
- Boil for 5 minutes for 3 egg omelets or 10 minutes for 6 egg omelets.
- Check to make sure inside of omelet is firm. If it is still runny, place ziplock back into boiling water and cook a couple more minutes, or until set.
- Use a glass mason jar with a lid or a plastic container to transport cracked eggs for less mess when camping.
- Simply shake the jar when ready to make your omelet to “whisk” them.
Ziplock Bag Note
You MUST use Freezer bags. These are the only bags that will hold up to the high heat.
For Large Group Camping:
- Have everyone bring their own eggs in freezer ziplock bags to one campsite along with a mix-in to share. Add mix-in and cook.
- Ideas include ham, sausage, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, feta cheese, cheddar cheese, onions, etc.