The Best Whole Beef Tenderloin Steak recipe made in the oven. Tender beef tenderloin is seared then roasted to perfection for this special holiday meal idea.
1 whole beef tenderloin (4- 5 lbs), trimmed
3-4 tbsp. whole peppercorns
1/2 stick butter, or more to taste
Old Bay seasoning salt or Lawry’s seasoning salt
coarse ground sea salt
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place whole peppercorns into a ziplock bag, then crush with a kitchen mallet or rolling pin. Set aside.
- Place trimmed beef tenderloin onto a cutting board or clean large surface and season liberally with the seasoning salt and the salt. Watch the video to get a better idea.
- Turn the ends of the tenderloin into itself so the thinner ends are now in the middle of the tenderloin.
- Place 3-4 pieces of cooking twine under the tenderloin and tie into knots, trimming the ends, so that the ends stay put and the meat is not wrapped into a nice rectangular shape that will fit into a skillet.
- Heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat in an oven-safe skillet.
- Using tongs, place the tenderloin into the pan. Sear for 3 minutes, then turn. Repeat until all 4 sides are seared.
- Place seared tenderloin onto your oven’s roaster pan. Spread the crushed peppercorns onto the steak, place butter cut into chunks over the steak, and place an oven-safe meat thermometer into the steak.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the thermometer reaches 140 degrees.
- Let the steak rest for 10 minutes before slicing
- Make sure to slice against the grain for tender slices of steak.
Watch the video for step by step instructions.