Our beef and cheese burrito makes a delicious easy camping meal for kids and works great in a lunchbox. Freeze the burrito and simply warm them at the campsite or make the meat at home and assemble it right before serving. Gluten-free.
When it comes to camping, there are definitely a few favorites that make me look forward to our trip – spending time with my family, being in nature, and premade meals.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
In the past, I would pack all the ingredients and spend the time at the campsite to assemble breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Now, I make everything before we leave.
HOW TO MAKE
- Evenly divide ground beef and cheddar cheese in the flour tortillas.
- Wrap sides into the center then roll.
- Wrap in foil and heat on a grill top over the campfire.
Get started by browning the ground beef in a pan until fully cooked and adding a Homemade Taco Seasoning or taco seasoning packet.
Then, evenly divide the ground beef mixture and shredded cheese in flour tortillas.
This recipe makes about 8 beef and cheese burritos that your family can enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner throughout your trip.
Before you wrap the sides into the center and roll the burrito, add additional toppings. This is the point where I encourage my kids to help in the kitchen and customize the burritos.
Toppings have included:
- Diced tomatoes
- Avocado slices
- Diced onions
- Black olives
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- Refried beans
- Enchilada sauce
My new favorite topping idea is a Classic Pico de Gallo. The possibilities are endless!
Once rolled, wrap in parchment paper and store in the freezer until you leave for your trip.
For camping, I like to freeze as much as I can so that it helps keep the cooler cold longer. However, planning is key to managing cooler space so only freeze the amount that is going to fit in your cooler.
HOW TO FREEZE BURRITOS
- Cool burritos
- Wrap in parchment paper and place in a freezer ziplock bag.
- Place in freezer
To reheat, microwave for 1-2 minutes or remove parchment paper, place in foil and heat over the campfire until warm.
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Beef and Cheese Burrito
- 1 pound prepared ground beef taco meat ✅
- 2 cups shredded cheese ✅
- 6- 8 gluten-free tortilla shells
- Prep the burritos. Evenly divide beef and cheese in the flour tortillas. Wrap sides into the center then roll.1 pound prepared ground beef taco meat, 2 cups shredded cheese, 6- 8 gluten-free tortilla shells
- ⭐️Cook. Wrap in foil and heat on a grill top over the campfire.
- Freeze. Cool the burritos. Wrap in parchment paper and place in a freezer ziplock bag. Freeze for 3-4 months.
- Reheat. To reheat, microwave for 1-2 minutes or remove parchment paper, place in foil and heat over the campfire until warm.