Ninja Foodi Italian Chicken Thighs are made without breading and are nice and crispy on the outside while being juicy on the inside. Even better, this recipe is on the table in just 25 minutes using the air fryer! They are going to become a family favorite. Gluten-free.
It took us a while to get on the air fryer bandwagon, but once we did, we were hooked! You might enjoy some of our favorites including Air Fryer Ranch Chicken Thighs, air fryer salmon patties, and air fryer banana chips.
Don’t have an air fryer or don’t want to pull it out? Check out our tutorial on How To Boil Chicken Thighs for perfectly cooked chicken every time!
HOW TO MAKE
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees
- Using a paper towel, pat the chicken dry
- Season both sides with Dry Italian Seasoning Mix
- Place onto air fryer rack
- Spray top of chicken thighs with non-stick cooking spray
- Cook 10 minutes, flip, then cook 10 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees
Start by gathering the ingredients. Then, preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 6 Bone-In, Skin-on Chicken Thighs
- 1 Packet Dry Italian Seasoning Mix
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Paper towels
- Swap the bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs for boneless, skinless chicken breasts if preferred. Just know that without the skin, you will not get as crunchy of a piece of chicken.
- Swap the dry Italian seasoning mix for any of your favorite seasoning combinations.
- Use avocado oil spray, canola oil spray or olive oil spray.
Next, using paper towels, pat the chicken dry. Do not skip this step – it is key to making the chicken crispy.
Next, season both sides of the chicken thighs.
Skip the extra trip to the store to purchase a seasoning mix. Grab your spices from the cabinet and try out one of these combinations! I personally love to season my fried chicken with a Homemade Italian Seasoning.
Alternative Spice Options
Once your chicken thighs are seasoned to your liking, place the onto the air fryer rack.
PRO TIP: This air fryer rack is dishwasher safe so simply throw in your dishwasher once you are done cooking
Next, spray the top of each chicken thigh with a non-stick cooking spray. I usually use an avocado oil spray. Make sure to flip your chicken thighs to spray both sides!
Also, by laying your thighs in a single layer, you can make sure the chicken gets extra crispy. I start by placing my chicken thighs skin side up on the rack.
Once the chicken is on the air fryer rack in a single layer, add the rack to the air fryer. Then, cook for 10 minutes, flip the chicken thighs, then cook 10 more minutes.
You will know your chicken thighs are ready to be served when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
TIPS & Tricks
- Place the baking pan on the rack under the air fryer pan as the chicken will drip and the pan will catch the juices. This eliminates having to clean the bottom of the air fryer after cooking.
- Preheat your air fryer before adding your food. This helps your chicken thighs cook evenly once they are added to the oven.
- Do not panic if you see smoke. Sometimes food will get lodged in the heating coil causing smoke. Simple unplug your appliance, remove the food from the heating coil, and continue cooking.
For our recipe, preheat your air fryer to 400°F.
Yes, you can certainly put raw chicken in your air fryer. Make sure to use a thermometer to ensure it’s properly cooked to 165°F.
You really can’t go wrong when it comes to picking a recipe to serve with your air fryer chicken thighs. I recommend picking a different recipe each time you make fried chicken. We suggest Parmesan Rhodes Rolls Recipe, Cheesy Mashed Potato Bites, Instant Pot Broccoli, How to Roast Acorn Squash, or Crock-Pot Red Potatoes.
It is highly recommended that you do not stack your chicken thighs. Stacking can cause uneven cooking – no one wants to bite into an undercooked piece of fried chicken!
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES
- Southwest Chicken Chili
- Greek Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Sausage Soup
- Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken Spaghetti
CKC Features both Gluten-Free Guidance and Kids Cooking Instructions: If you’re new to eating gluten-free we understand it’s overwhelming trying to figure out which foods may contain gluten and which ones don’t. All of our gluten-free recipes marked with this symbol ✅ represent foods that need to be checked for gluten or cross-contamination.
The ⭐️ symbol in the recipe below denotes the steps in which kid cooks may need a helper (depending on age). If there is no ⭐️ symbol, that step (or recipe) doesn’t require a helper.
Ninja Foodi Italian Chicken Thighs
- 6 Bone-In, skin-on chicken thighs ✅
- 1 packet Dry Italian Seasoning Mix ✅
- Prep the chicken and preheat the air fryer. Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Using paper towel, pat the chicken dry. Season both sides with Dry Italian Seasoning Mix.6 Bone-In, skin-on chicken thighs, 1 packet Dry Italian Seasoning Mix
- Place onto the rack. Place chicken onto the airfryer rack. Spray top of chicken thighs with non-stick cooking spray.
- ⭐️Cook. Cook 10 minutes, flip, then cook 10 more minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.