Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Yogurt Sauce combines green chilies, Great Northern beans, Greek yogurt, and rotisserie chicken into a dish so flavorful no one will realize it is a healthy dinner meal.
As a registered dietitian, I teach my clients to make small changes. Everyone can change one thing, right? However, if you come up with a list of 10, you may not do so well.
Of the 45% of people who make New Year’s Resolutions, under half continue past the 6 month mark. Does this surprise you?
Resolution failures seem to be a running joke year after year, with the number one resolution revolving around health and weight loss.
Why do people continue to fail? I believe this happens because they make resolutions, not lifestyle changes.
In order to meet health goals, you must change the way you do things today, then continue to do this – forever. Sounds pretty intimidating, doesn’t it? It doesn’t need to be.
This year, I’d like to help you make one small change.
What is this small change you ask?
It is to use your kitchen more often. Yes, I am talking cooking. I challenge you to set aside just a half hour each week to plan your family’s meals.
Double your recipes to utilize leftovers on busy nights.
If you plan to hit the drive thru, have it on the schedule and pay attention to how often this occurs. Cut back a little at a time.
Not sure where to find easy, flavorful healthy recipes your whole family will enjoy? Check out the recipe section here at Create Kids Club. You will find simple, healthy recipes and menu planning ideas to get dinner on the table quickly and painlessly.
Next, sign your family up to take the One More Meal Challenge, where families pledge to cook one more meal at home each week.
Sign your family up to take the One More Meal Challenge - where families pledge to cook one more… Click To Tweet
Choosing to eat healthy doesn’t mean you need to give up flavor.
Your whole family will love this simple recipe that shows how flavorful healthy eating can be.
Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chili Yogurt Sauce
Made with leftover or rotisserie chicken, Greek yogurt, green chilies, great northern beans, and green enchilada sauce, this is a must try gluten free recipe!
- 1 small onion
- Olive oil
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 4 oz. cans mild chopped green chilies
- 1 15 oz. can Great Northern beans, undrained or favorite white bean
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded rotisserie works well
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 14 oz. can green enchilada sauce check for gluten-free if necessary
- 5.3 oz. container plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 14 corn tortillas
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare a 9 x 13 in pan with non-stick cooking spray.
In medium-sized sauté pan, drizzle small amount of olive oil in pan and sauté onions on medium high for about 5 minutes, or until translucent
Place half of sautéed onions into medium sized mixing bowl, leaving the other half in saute pan.
To sauté pan, add enchilada sauce, Greek yogurt, ½ cup of cheese, cumin, and salt.
Over low heat, whisk until well blended and cheese is melted.
For Chicken Mixture:
In medium-sized mixing bowl with sautéed onions, combine cream cheese, green chilies, beans, and garlic powder.
Mash with potato masher or fork until well blended.
Stir in chicken.
Spoon chicken mixture onto corn tortilla, roll up, and place in prepared pan.
Repeat until all tortillas are filled.
Pour green chile yogurt sauce on top of tortillas.
Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup shredded cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 ( 4 oz) cans mild chopped green chilies
- 1 (15 oz) can Great Northern Beans (or favorite white bean)
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (rotisserie works great)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 14 oz can green enchilada sauce (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 (5.3 oz) container plain Greek yogurt (individual size)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 14 corn tortillas
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Prepare a 9 x 13 in pan with non-stick cooking spray
- In medium-sized sauté pan, drizzle small amount of olive oil in pan and sauté onions on medium high for about 5 minutes, or until translucent
- Remove from heat
- In medium-sized bowl, combine cream cheese, green chilies, and beans (do not drain)
- Mash with potato masher or fork until well blended
- Add chicken, garlic powder, and one half of sautéed onions
- Set aside
- To sauté pan with remaining onions, add enchilada sauce, Greek yogurt, ½ cup of cheese, cumin, and salt.
- Over low heat, whisk until well blended and cheese is melted
- Spoon chicken mixture onto corn tortilla, roll up, and place in prepared pan
- Repeat until all tortillas are filled
- Pour cream sauce on top of tortillas
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup shredded cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly
- Serve immediately
- Green onions, black olives, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, or cilantro
- Serve with a side salad and Mexican Rice
Try the recipe this week- then comment below and let me know if your family enjoyed the recipe as much as mine did!